cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed - Network Error

Failed - Network Error

Joeterrylenny
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Using the web interface, I'm trying to download a single audio (.wav) file and after a few minutes it cancels and says 'Failed - Network Error'. On the forum I've found this can happen is (a) the folder has over 10,000 files [this is one file] or (b) It's over 20gb.

This audio file is almost an hour long so it could be large but I doubt it's 20gb. I also can't find out the size of any of the files I'm trying to download. Is there a way to check files/folder sizes on the web interface?

A few people have suggested it works if they 'download to my dropbox' but when I do that it says my dropbox is full (there's nothing in it) which makes me think the file is larger than 2gb (the limit of my basic account). Do I have to pay for premium to be able to download anything over 2gb? 

Last question: If I need a premium account, I could log-in to the work account that uploaded the files; can I choose for it to download JUST to my laptop or, like the message says, will it 'download to ALL computers linked with this account'.

In the meantime I'll get them to send it me via Google Drive as that works. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Joeterrylenny!

To calculate the size of files and folders via the website, have a look at this article for more info.

@Joeterrylenny wrote:

Do I have to pay for premium to be able to download anything over 2gb? 

As hart mentions, you aren’t able to add a shared folder larger than your available storage. You can check how much space you’ve got left by navigating to your Plan tab on your Settings

In this case, if you’re trying to gain access and/or download shared content and you don’t have the space for it, I’d recommend asking the other user to send you a shared link, which doesn’t count against your storage.

Hope this helped too! :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

From my understanding, you can't accept or have anything in your Dropbox that is larger than the space you have. For example, lets say as a basic user, you have 1gb of stuff in your Dropbox. Someone shares a folder that has 1.5gbs of stuff. You won't be able to accept that invite, since that is more than your space allowed. I would assume it is the same case for your example.

Joeterrylenny
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So the uploader and downloader have to be paying for premium to be able to send a file over 1GB?

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Well, I would think you should be able to do it if you both have 1GB of space, but if you don't then I would think it would follow the same principle of shared folders, since shared folders eat up both the sharer and the person they shared it with's space.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Joeterrylenny!

To calculate the size of files and folders via the website, have a look at this article for more info.

@Joeterrylenny wrote:

Do I have to pay for premium to be able to download anything over 2gb? 

As hart mentions, you aren’t able to add a shared folder larger than your available storage. You can check how much space you’ve got left by navigating to your Plan tab on your Settings

In this case, if you’re trying to gain access and/or download shared content and you don’t have the space for it, I’d recommend asking the other user to send you a shared link, which doesn’t count against your storage.

Hope this helped too! :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joeterrylenny
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think I understand, thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joeterrylenny New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    atccodex Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?