cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a fix if my Dropbox file download keeps failing?

Is there a fix if my Dropbox file download keeps failing?

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Every time I try to download a file I get a failed status in Chrome or Safari. When I download in Firefox it fails, however Firefox allows me to "restart" the download and it begins again where it left off... so I can complete the download by repeating this as many times as necessary per file. Very annoying.

For a larger file (say 4 GB) I had to do this "restart" in Firefox 4-5 times before the file reached the end of the download and completed successfully.

I see this is an on-going issue for Dropbox for several years - is there an indication as to waht is causing this? Going to have to ditch the service altogether if there is no real fix.

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrismonico
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Good news here, the problem has been fixed...I was able to download a 23GB file from the web @ a consistent 30mb/sec...took 13 minutes. Dropbox support emailed me this morning to let me know:

We've had our engineers working on this and the good news is the problem has been fixed. Please check again and you should find that the correct modified time is now displayed on files uploaded via the Dropbox website.

Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Thanks everyone

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @cohenben, welcome to our community! 

To be honest, this sounds like some kind of connection issue on your end. This could be an actual issue with your internet service, or some kind of application that's interfering with the download, and causing it to time out. 

• What message or error do you get when the download fails? 
  • What device and operating system are you experiencing this on? 
  • What types of files are you seeing this with? 
  • Where are the files being downloaded from? 
    • your Dropbox? 
    • someone else’s Dropbox? 
      • if so, how are the files shared with you? Shared link? Shared folder with full edit rights? 

Let me know about this, and we’ll go from there.
Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is almost certainly NOT from a connection issue on my end - I attempted the same download process from both home and office. At home I have Optimum and at the office we have Spectrum Business. So - let's rule that out.

Thanks for the response - to answer your questions:

• What message or error do you get when the download fails?
    • In chrome - the error is "Transfer failed - network issue" ... in Safari and Firefox the transfers just fail. They are generic failure notification in each browser.
  • What device and operating system are you experiencing this on?
    • I'm on a Mac. Running Sierra. Latest versions of Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
  • What types of files are you seeing this with? 
    • Video files (.mp4) - file size range from 900 mb to 4.7 GB have been tested and have same result.
  • Where are the files being downloaded from? 
    • From my dropbox.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
@cohenben, thanks for getting back to me with that. Let’s go ahead and put you in touch with our support team. By submitting a ticket here, a member of our team will be able to have a look at your account through our support platform, and provide additional troubleshooting steps. 

Have a great weekend!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
@cohenben, were you able to get in touch with our support team? Have you resolved the issue? 

Let me know.
Thanks! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

chrismonico
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having the same exact issue when downloading files through the web larger than 1GB. Doesn't matter the browser or the OS...I've also tried from my home and here at work. I have a dropbox business acoount and only got it because of the abilty to download large files, and store a ton. This is extremely diasppointing becuase I cannnot rely on the one function I need the most. I already have a ticken open with tech support since last week and havent been able to resolve the issue. 

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Sanchez, when I click that link I don't actually see anywhere to open a ticket - are you suggesting I email or chat with support?

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
update - yes - I have submitted a ticket.

dochood
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can verify that my team member and I are having this same problem trying to download a 22 GB file.  We are attempting it from two different locations, from Windows 10 and Linux, from Firefox and Chrome, and over wired and wireless networks, all to no avail.  I have submitted a ticket for it.

We routinely upload and download large files like this, so we have not had this issue before, where every single download attempt fails.

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
As you may have seen in my previous post - I was able to successfully work around this by using Firefox and then choosing "restart" in the download window whenever the file failed. Firefox would then pickup where the transfer dropped and go another distance before having to repeat this step. Eventually (depending on how large the file) I was able to complete the transfer.

SUPER ANNOYING and not a solution - but at least it may get you what you need until Dropbox addresses this.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AJS1 New member | Level 2
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    cohenben Helpful | Level 5
    chrismonico Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?