cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop notifications on Windows 10?

How can I stop notifications on Windows 10?

AAAlter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How can I stop User Account Control from demanding approval every time someone updates a Dropbox file? I'm running under Windows 10 and preferences does not seem to change anything.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for circling back to me on this discussion with this screenshot (@lucasvandermeer), this has been really helpful, I hope you’ve had a great Friday so far!

In similar cases, when we suspect that something isn’t working correctly, we usually advise attempting a re-installation. If you’d like to follow my advice, you can have a look at the steps below:

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".

• Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".

• When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  

• At that point, I’d suggest disabling any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=win&type=full (Windows)  
Please keep me updated here on your findings or results whenever you have some spare time & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks in advance for taking the time to try my suggestions & I’m wishing you a relaxed weekend ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That's not User Account Control. That's the Windows 10 notification system. Either disable the various notification options in Dropbox Preferences, or turn off Dropbox in Windows' notification options.

AAAlter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It may not be from "User Account Control", but that's what it says at the top of every pop up that warns me a file has been updated. I can attach a screenshot if that would help. My notification preferences are turned off in Dropbox, and the option in Windows notifications for Dropbox is grayed out.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Attach the screenshot, because I have a feeling that it's not Dropbox doing it, especially if you've disabled notifications.

AAAlter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It won't let me take a screen shot, because it locks all processes until I answer the question. Nevertheless, I took a photo of the screen. See attached. I hope it's attached ... I had to paste in a path ... maybe that works.

Photo

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You've pasted the local file's location (i.e. C:\ etc.) so that wont work sorry, you need to upload it first to Dropbox etc. and paste a link here after that

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AAAlter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Screen image

Lee B.29
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having this exact problem on one of 4 Win10 boxes where I run Dropbox -- in this case a new Lenovo laptop.  The message  definitely states it's from User Account Control.  I've tried to figure out what's different on this machine, but can't find anything in Dropbox preferences or Win10 that solves the problem.  Has anyone found an answer to this?

lucasvandermeer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the exact same problem with a brand new Dell laptop. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lucasvandermeer, are you facing the same issue as the OP? Please let me know of the details in regards to this inquiry & I’ll make sure to follow-up with you asap. Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    lucasvandermeer Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?