Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

2 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 2

How does Dropbox decide whether or not the file system is ext4?

I am using Dropbox on an ext4 file system, but it doesn't seem to understand that it really *is* an ext4 file system.   And I can confirm that xattr's are enabled.  From my Dropbox folder:

<tytso@cwcc> {/home/tytso/Dropbox}
77% getfattr calendar.pdf
# file: calendar.pdf
user.com.dropbox.attributes

Now, Dropbox is running inside a container using bind mounts, because I don't trust random binaries downloaded from the network having complete and free run of my system.   But it is indeed an ext4 file system, despite Dropbox complaining thinking that it isn't.   From inside the container:

<tytso@cwcc> {/home/tytso/Dropbox}
79% docker exec -i -t dropbox /bin/bash
root@cwcc:/dbox/Dropbox# ls -l calendar.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 dropbox dropbox 131349 Nov 7 05:47 calendar.pdfroot@cwcc:/dbox/Dropbox# df -h .
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/cwcc-root 366G 185G 163G 54% /dbox/Dropbox
root@cwcc:/dbox/Dropbox# grep /dbox/Dropbox /proc/mounts
/dev/mapper/cwcc-root /dbox/Dropbox ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0

I understand that running Dropbox inside a docker container is probably not what you would consider "a supported configuration".   But I can assure you that in fact the Dropbox folder is using a supported file system (ext4, with xattr's enabled).

P.S.  Dropbox isn't really running as root; it's inside a user id namespace as well.   slightly smiling face

P.P.S.  In case you're curious, here's how I'm setting up the Dropbox container:

https://github.com/tytso/docker-dropbox

P.P.P.S.  As the ext4 maintainer, I do appreciate your support of the ext4 file system.   I will point out that there are plenty of other file systems that support extended attributes as well, however.  slightly smiling face

Tags (1)
2 Replies
Level 2

Re: How does Dropbox decide whether or not the file system is ext4?

(please delete; I incorporated the contents into the original question)

Re: How does Dropbox decide whether or not the file system is ext4?

I have been having the same issue. Today I found there is a beta build of the linux dropbox client. one of the changes is "Improve filesystem detection on Linux"

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-62-3-93/m-p/308321/highlight/true#M...

So far I haven't had the error message since updating, and dropbox seems to be syncing without complaint.

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post