Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I'm getting an error when I move a file

Level 3

I want to move a document between a folder in the business dropbox to my personal folder (which is part of the business folder system). 

When I try to cut and paste the file (within in Windows Explorer) from a folder in the business area to a folder in my personal folder, I get the following popup error: 

Can't move "File Name.pdf" to "Folder Name" folder

Moving this shared file to your Folder Name folder would remove it for everyone else at Business NameLearn more about sharing

The popup only gives me an "OK" button.

I know I'm removing the file for everyone else... That's what I want to do!

I am the person who set up the business account, and I believe I have full access / admin privileges.

I'm fairly certain that this hasn't been an issue before (i.e. I'm fairly sure I've cut and pasted docs from one of the business area folders to a personal folder, without running into an error). 

Can anyone shed any light on what on earth is going on here, and how this issue can be resolved? 

Thanks in advance!

Kim

9 Replies

Re: Error moving a file

Super User II

There isnt anything to resolve - just click on OK and let it do it. 

It is just a warning to people to say whats happening.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3
Hi Mark,
Unfortunately the move does not occur at all, so I still have an issue.
The error says "can't move".
The file stays in the original location when OK is pressed. There is no option to press a button to allow the file to move anyway.

Super User II

Have you set up permissions on the share?

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3
All permissions have been setup for 12+ months. Haven't changed anything.

Super User II

And you have checked that though?

Level 3

I have now checked all settings that I'm aware of. I am an admin and there are no settings that I can see that will reduce restrictions (apart from allowing general members to do extra things, which isn't necessary as I'm an admin). 

Dropboxer

Hey Kim (@Kim3663), apologies for the tardy reply on our end; I’d like to touch base with you here on any progress made on your end. I’m wondering if you’ve been able to resolve your concern in regards to the issue re-arranging your file structure you had described us initially. Please do let me know & we’ll take it from there. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3
Hi Jane,

Unfortunately no luck with this at all.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Kim

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back in touch with me here Kim (@Kim3663)! Let me dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your current filestructure through our Official Support channel. So as to look into the matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm getting an error when I move a file
9 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post