cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Problem moving Dropbox folder from linux to NTFS partition

Hello everyone,

I have a dual boot system with 3 partitions, Windows 10, Debian 9 and a NTFS partition, that I use for shared files. I used to install Dropbox on both system using the same folder in the shared partition. Now I recieve the error message "To sync your Dropbox, Move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with Ext4.". This is, probably, due to the File System support changes.

Can I still make Dropbox sync with this folder in the NTFS partition from Debian Ext4 partition?

7 Replies

Re: Problem moving Dropbox folder from linux to NTFS partition

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Allan, if you’re using Windows the Dropbox folder is in the NTFS drive, then there’s no issues.

However from Debian, you won’t be able to sync your files since the Dropbox folder isn’t located in an EXT4 drive. You’ll need to have a separate Dropbox folder stored in the EXT4 drive specifically for the Debian install.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

@Jay  escreveu:
Hi Allan, if you’re using Windows the Dropbox folder is in the NTFS drive, then there’s no issues.

However from Debian, you won’t be able to sync your files since the Dropbox folder isn’t located in an EXT4 drive. You’ll need to have a separate Dropbox folder stored in the EXT4 drive specifically for the Debian install.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Thank you, Jay, for the fast response.

I was wondering about that. I don't want to duplicate files, that's why I cretated the shared drive. Dropbox team must have good reasons to change File System support like that.

I hope there will exist a work around.

@allanmariano wrote:

I hope there will exist a work around.

Hi @allanmariano,

About the workaround You ask for... You, better, don't rely on! Did You see the thread?

Hi,

Why dropbox did this change?, it complicates the use for users with double boot.

Andres

Hi, Andres

Yes, I'm wondering that, as well. As I said, I used to have just one copy of the folder in a shared NTFS drive which I could access from Linux and Windows drives. They must have done that for security reasons, or something like that. As we might be a small percentage of users doing so, this will propably not be solved.

There is an explanation that you can read in this thread.

Hi @Andres_Hernande and @allanmariano,

It seems that I haven't explain (in my previous post) very well what I mean. And it is that, You shouldn't rely on workaround, coming from Dropbox. But, this doesn't mean that working workaround couldn't be found! Read carefully the refereed thread.. winking face There are tips which can lead You to solution. Of course every such solutions could be temporary - It seems, We (I mean affected users) and Dropbox are playing game for mices and cat... grinning face with smiling eyes

There are not any security reasons for such decisions! Security reasons pointing is bad excuse try for their marketing strategy.

Wish You a good luck.

Hello, man

Sorry about the misunderstanding. actually, I've just decided to use the website while I'm on Linux.

Thank you very much for the help!

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Problem moving Dropbox folder from linux to NTFS partition
More about this post
7 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post