Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

9 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 3

Problem permanently deleting files

Hello,

When trying to permanently delete files in Dropbox via either Firefox or Safari on my MacBook running MacOS High Sierra, I get this message: 'There was a problem completing this request'.

Here's the process in detail:

- I go to the Deleted Files section under the Files section. 

- I check the box of the file entry I want to delete. (In my case, I selected an entry that only has a few files). 

- I select "Permanently Delete" that appears in the right part of the browser window.

- I select "Permanently Delete" in the little box that appears in the middle. The little green box that shows "Finished permanently deleting files" appears for a while, along with a progress bar. Then the "There was a problem completing this request" message appears in a little red box.

The file entry does disappear from the list of Deleted Files. However, if I go back to the Files section, then re-enter the Deleted Files section, it is back.

I am aware that deleted files do not count toward my space quota. I am also aware that they will disappear after a time. I just want to permanently delete my files and it is not working.

I tried this in both Safari and in Firefox, and cleared their caches in advance. Also, my Firewall allows incoming connections to my Dropbox app on my Macbook.

Advice greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: Problem permanently deleting files

Interesting behavior to be honest. Perhaps entering private browsing mode affected the way the scripts on the site worked, so that even in a normal window afterwards it worked fine?

I’m glad to hear it’s working for you now, but if you experience this again, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

9 Replies
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, how large are the files you’re trying to delete permanently?

Regarding this matter, could you try using incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running and even resetting your browser entirely. 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Jay,

The files I'm trying to delete are very small ones, sometimes in the kilobyte range.

I started with Safari - disabled the one extension I had (1Password) and used a private browsing window to log onto Dropbox.  I did not reset Safari because I didn't want to lose my history, saved passwords, etc.  Of note, it hung up, with the rotating circular icon showing up, after I selected "Deleted Files" in the sidebar.

So I exited Safari and restarted it, and did the same thing. I succeeded in deleting a small file entry (a folder with a few small files), without the error message. I went back to the Files section, then re-entered the Deleted Files section, and the entry was not present, so success!

I tried this again, with a non private window and it still worked. I also re-enabled the 1Password extension and tried it again and it still worked. This is a mystery to me.

I then tried Firefox. It doesn't have any extensions. I started it, used a non-private window and logged into Dropbox. I did not reset Firefox. Success again. Again, I don't know why it failed before - that's a mystery.

So the problem appears to have been a transient one that was something on your end, or the disable/enable of the 1Password extension and the re-starting of Safari did something.

I hope this helps - it appears that the problem was indeterminate.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Interesting behavior to be honest. Perhaps entering private browsing mode affected the way the scripts on the site worked, so that even in a normal window afterwards it worked fine?

I’m glad to hear it’s working for you now, but if you experience this again, please let me know!

Jay

ffo
Level 4

Hello I'm having a similar problems with files of different sizeswhich I am trying to permanently delete.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @ffo, could you confirm that you’ve tried every steps listed in this thread?

Additionally, when you say similar problems, what error message do you get, or in what way are they different?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

ffo
Level 4

It seems that the problem is now fixed

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it, enjoy your week ahead!

Jay

Level 2

I am having the same issue but I am working in  windows 10  OS with Mozilla.

I tried to do the permanent delete in Mozilla, then MS Edge with no results, only an error message "There was a problem completing this request"

And then nothing

Regards

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @mulloa, could you try doing the deletion in Chrome to see if this helps?

Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely.

Jay

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post