cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem working with Excel on Dropbox

Problem working with Excel on Dropbox

LauraP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have a problem with Excel files. They works if saved in the pc but the same file in Dropbox said that is impossible to open cause it is not found. Thank you for helping me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that @LauraP1!

The issue you're experiencing may be due to a limitation of the applications that you're using to open or save the files in question. In short, there are files that your applications can't process correctly because they have file paths that are too long.

This behavior is present if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. This means from the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file.

As an example if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long.

The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them. This is out of our control since the application developers would have to add support for long paths to resolve the issue.

You should be able to resolve the issues with your applications processing these files by simply renaming the file to a shorter name, renaming a folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there Laura - sorry to hear about this.

Can you please tell me the status on your desktop app? Is it "Up to date" or still syncing changes? 

Do you see a syncing icon on the said file? 

Moreover, could you share a screenshot of the exact error you get so we can have a better understanding of what could be going wrong? 

Thanks in advance @LauraP1!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LauraP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

thanks a lot for your super fast reply.

The Dropbox icon on the desktop is "up to date", non syncronising.

The file too has a green flag on it. Of course I share the screenshot.

Many thanks,

Laura

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I don't see any screenshots Laura - can you try from the "Photos" button from within your reply's box (just above the place you write your post)?

Also, can you use our problematic file names' look up tool and let me know if you find anything at https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check ?

In the meantime, you can also view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer in this Help Center article: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing 

In any case, I'll be waiting for your next response with the screenshot of the error you get to have a better view of the matter at hand. 

Thanks again!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LauraP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screenshot.jpg

LauraP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

no files creating syncronising problems. I checked with your link.

The file's name is very simple, only words with _ symbol.

The strangest thing is that is impossible to open the file from the app on desktop, but if I proceed from the website it opens!!!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that @LauraP1!

The issue you're experiencing may be due to a limitation of the applications that you're using to open or save the files in question. In short, there are files that your applications can't process correctly because they have file paths that are too long.

This behavior is present if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. This means from the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file.

As an example if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long.

The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them. This is out of our control since the application developers would have to add support for long paths to resolve the issue.

You should be able to resolve the issues with your applications processing these files by simply renaming the file to a shorter name, renaming a folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LauraP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Walter,

because Dropbox considers the file name lenght not as it appears (as it was saved in C) but considers the full path, correct?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Spot on @LauraP1!

Let me know how it goes please and if you have any more questions, you know where to find us :wink:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LauraP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes of course, will do.

Thanks a lot for your time

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LauraP1 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?