cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Share links don't work on Android

Share links don't work on Android

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For a while now, I've been sharing Dropbox documents in PDF format via email. Once in a while people tell me they "can't open the links." I always just assumed they didn't know what they were doing, but today I happened to test one of these links on an Android phone.

In the Gmail app on Android, clicking on a Dropbox link in this format:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8fpocz6tykra0o/20190204.pdf?dl=0

gives the error,

Cannot display PDF (20190204.pdf is of invalid format)

Anyone know how to get this to work on Android?

26 Replies 26

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Lusil,

Surprisingly, even that doesn't work! If I use the dl=0 option, nothing happens, and if I use dl=1, the file downloads but won't open (other PDF files on the device do open).

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for trying these out for us, @aprilafternoon

It sounds like the device that you’re trying to preview the file on doesn’t have a supporting third party app to open it, which would explain why it doesn’t load even when you download it. 

For this reason, I’d recommend navigating through a web browser to find a third party app that would allow you to access the file type in question. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The device I was testing on does indeed have a PDF viewer, which works fine with other PDF files (I checked). And my Dropbox links open fine on iOS and in the desktop browser... so I know the file contained in the link is a real PDF. I think there is a bug somewhere in the way Dropbox is delivering these files to Android OS.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your swift reply, @aprilafternoon . 

In order to have a more in-depth look into this, I’d have to move this discussion to email due to account-specific info that’ll be needed. 

For this reason, I’ve sent you an email to the email address associated with your Community profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

andreich
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What is the final solution? I have the same issue for any shared pdf file on android devices

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @andreich

I’ve followed up with a ticket so as to have a more in-depth look into the behavior you’re experiencing with shared link previews. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ThePhysicsCafe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox, I am a business user. I have EXACTLY the same problem as described. May i know the solutions?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @ThePhysicsCafe, thanks for posting your query on the Community!

Due to sensitive and account-specific information that was necessary to help investigate this behavior, we previously had to move this discussion to email for each user. 

Similarly, I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so as to have a more in-depth look. 

Thanks in advance!

PS. For any future queries regarding this, please submit your request to our Support team as they’ll be able to assist you with our internal tools. Thanks again, peeps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

LesliePiper
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This sucks,
I'm having the same problem.
If I use the link via Whatsapp Web it opens fine.
and if I access the pdf, either download or
with a link from "one drive" it also works fine
conclusion it's a DROPBOX issue.

Please solve it.

korogorov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I am having the exact same issue. Would you please share a solution in this thread? It seems that the issue is being addressed in a case-by-case way privately and that defeats the purpose of this forum...
Need more support?