Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Ubuntu 16.04: Error moving files to new ext4 location

Level 5

Hi, when I try to move my dropbox location to another Ext4 directory (/mnt/data/dropbox/) outside my encrypted home folder I get this message:

To sync your Dropbox, move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with Ext4.

This location is unencrypted Ext4 on the same drive and I've changed ownership from root to my personal user. Whats going wrong?

Thx,

Marcel

74 Replies

Re: Ubuntu 16.04: Error moving files to new ext4 location

Dropboxer

Hey there @maac - sorry to hear that!

Can you confirm that you're using the instructions mentioned in this Help Center article to move your Dropbox Folder? 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder 

If you do and still get the same error, please send me a screenshot of the exact error message you get so I can have a visual too.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Hi, thnx @Walter for the reply. I did follow the instructions but still get the same error. Heres the screenshot; hope it helps:

Level 5

Sorry, when trying to upload an image I get: An Unexpected Error has occurred.

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @maac - are you having this issue on other browsers too?

In any case, as I'd like to look further into this, would you mind if I reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile to work on this together internally where I'll have all of my tools available?

Last but not least, have you tried to do this from your root directly instead of your user profile? Do you get the same error if you do?

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

I'm running into the exact same issue, and apparently so are many others on this forum and elsewhere.

In my case, I had Dropbox installed and working fine on an ext4 partition on my system up until a couple days ago (after support for other linux filesystems was dropped).

I then stopped dropbox, deleted the cache, and then re-initialized the exact same version of the software (v59.4.93). I then attempt to move the folder back to the same location, and it now fails.

I'm guessing this is a bug related to changes Dropbox made to attempt to detect / disallow using banned filesystems.

The partition is mounted as:

UUIDface without mouthxx /mnt/data ext4 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 2

No encryption is used.

Screenshot from 2018-10-19 09-40-07.png

Level 2

Update / Work-around:

So after a bit of testing, I found a work-around that may help you. While Dropbox did not like me re-using the same location in the root of the partition (/mnt/data), even if the directory privileges were set very generously, I was able to move it to a sub-directory there-in.

So "/mnt/data/d" was an acceptable location to move Dropbox to, while "/mnt/data" was not.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift update on this @user123 - let's see if this works out well for @maac too!

In the meantime, enjoy your weekend fellas! 

Walter

Level 5

Thanks @user123 that workt perfectly. Strange bug though; but glad that you found the workaround!

DB won't sync to top folder of mounted drive (Unsuported File system)

Level 2

Ubuntu 18.04

/home is a part of the / on an ext4 partition

Trying to sync Dropbox to drive mounted to /shared (also ext4), to which I have the proper permissions.

When I select /shared I get an error that says the filesystem is unsupported, despite the partition being ext4

However, if I select a folder within /shared, syncing works fine.  Currently I'm synced to /shared/Dropbox/Dropbox, which is a passible (if slightly annoying) workaround.

How can I get Dropbox to sync to the top level of /shared?

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Ubuntu 16.04: Error moving files to new ext4 location
74 Replies
14 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post