Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

68 Comments
14 Likes
Highlighted
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: DB won't sync to top folder of mounted drive (Unsuported File system)

Hi there, it’s possible that the Dropbox desktop application on Linux can’t use the top-level folder to place the Dropbox folder. 

While I’m not sure why this is the case, I can forward this to our dev team for them to investigate further to see if this can be changed.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Unable to move Dropbox folder on Ubuntu 18.04

I am running Dropbox on an Ubuntu 18.04 install on an ext4 filesystem.

Since my home folder is encrypted with ecryptfs, I'm trying to move the Dropbox folder to a non-encrypted location.

I tried to move it to /opt/Dropbox/Dropbox/Dropbox (for any lower level of nesting Dropbox would display an error saying the filesystem is not ext4, which btw is not true).

However, it stops at around 5 % with a very unhelpful error message saying "Unexpected errors occurred. Your Dropbox is ok!"

I already tried uninstalling Dropbox, removing the ~/.dropbox and ~/.dropbox-dist directories, and reinstalling it, but without success.

Any suggestions?

Re: Unable to move Dropbox folder on Ubuntu 18.04

Same problem... Tried moving Dropbox using the GUI from NFS mounted /home16 partition directory called /home16/robert/Dropbox to /spare ext4 partition directory called /spare/robert which I also own and also have write permission to. The GUI erroneously asserts /spare is not an ext4 partiion.

Level 3

Ubuntu Budgie: Re-installed Dropbox, but don't get to select the sync folder

Hi.

A few weeks ago I moved my ~/Dropbox (ecryptfs) to /data/dropbox (ext4), and created a symlink from ~/Dropbox to /data/dropbox. This got rid of the warnings, so I though I was in the clear. But a couple of days ago Dropbox again started to warn me about running Dropbox on an unsupported filesystem. 

So I though I'd reinstall Dropbox, and point it directly to /data/dropbox in the first place.

I followed the steps outlined on https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall, and managed to reinstall Dropbox. But during the reinstall process, the Dropbox installer don't ask me to configure the sync folder, but chooses ~/Dropbox. 

How can I get the installer to use /data/dropbox as sync folder, instead of the default ~/Dropbox? 

Tags (1)
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: Ubuntu Budgie: Re-installed Dropbox, but don't get to select the sync folder

Hi there, during the advanced reinstall, make sure to choose the advanced settings and then you can choose the location of the Dropbox folder.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Re: Ubuntu Budgie: Re-installed Dropbox, but don't get to select the sync folder

Thansk for the reply. 

The problem is that at no point during the installation, I get the option to select advanced options.  I download the installer, run it, it install Dropbox, I'm directed to the web browser to link my account with the installation I'm performing, and that's all. So the only thing the installer queries me for is to link my Dropbox account with the installation I'm performing. 

Any ideas how come? 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Try moving the folder to a subfolder in the /data/ directory.

I’m merged your thread with another to keep similar issues together.

Jay

Level 3

Just move the directory, like this?

mv ~/Dropbox /data/dropbox

I guess that's not what you ment, but rather configure the client to use another folder? If so, I'm kind of stuck, because for some reason I can't find any way of accessing the GUI part of Dropbox client. When I click Windows key, type in Dropbox and click on "Dropbox", nothing happens. And there's no Dropbox icon in the active programs bar. 

Is there any way of configuring Dropbox without the GUI client? 

Level 3

I got it working now. I came across this link than recommends Ubuntu Budgie users installing Dropbox from the Welcome app, instead of downloading Dropbox directly from the Dropbox website like I've always done in the past. 

Now the Dropbox applet finally appears, and I was able to change the location of my dropbox folder to /data/

Level 4

Rif.: Unable to move Dropbox folder on Ubuntu 18.04

Hi, I see that my previous post was moved in this thread, which appears to be about a different issue. I tried performing the advanced reinstall of the Dropbox client, as detailed here, and moving my Dropbox folder into "/mnt/data/d", as suggested in this thread, but I am still unable to move it.

The "Unexpected errors occurred. Your Dropbox is ok!" error keeps appearing.

I would like to try to figure out what this error means exactly. I saw that the Dropbox client stores logs in the folder "~/.dropbox/logs". Such logs are, however, encoded in some kind of binary format, so I am unable to view them. Is there any way to open them in a human readable form?

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.