Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

13 Comments
1 Like
Level 3

Unable to open files synced to computer

I've got a new Windows 10 laptop and have downloaded Dropbox so I can access my companies files. I managed to download everything through Smart-Sync but I am unable to open my files of any kind, recieving an error message saying 'Unspecified error'. I believe I am using the most recent version of Dropbox: 64.4.141. I can access the files through the online version of dropbox however. 

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 2

Re: Unable to open files synced to computer

Thank you for your quick response to this.  This was a new computer that we setup, but we went ahead and uninstalled/reinstalled the Dropbox application on the computer.  After doing that, PDF and image files started opening when they were still cloud-synced and not locally synced, but the Microsoft Office files would not open and gave the same "unspecified" file error.  I made sure the computer had all the Windows Updates installed on it, and I re-installed Microsoft Office on the computer, and after re-installing Office, all the files started opening as normal.

13 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey there @rorykemp ), would you mind including a screenshot of your folderstructure & the error message in your next reply here, so as to get a better idea of what’s happening. Have you by any chance attempted to revert your files to Local White check mark in order to open them on your Mac? Are you getting the same error message incidentally? 

Once I have this info, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry a bit more closely. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on that & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Dropbox Error.png

Level 3

Hi Jane,  

Yes, I am able to convert files to local and use them as normal. The problem is still persisting however. 

Dropboxer

Perfect @rorykemp & thanks for letting me know of the progress! It would be worth noting that when you attempt to access the 'online-only' file that has been removed locally with Smart Sync, Dropbox will sync that file to your computer. While we begin syncing the content immediately, it may take some time to completely sync and open. Sync speed is impacted by the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection, it may take some time to completely sync and open.

If you see the associated application open, but your file does not load or an error occurs, the first step to resolve this issue would be to right-click on the file and select ‘Local’ from the Smart Sync menu. 

Hopefully this addresses your initial concern, though please do let me know here if you have any additional questions or I’ve misunderstood in any way. Happy syncing & take care until we talk again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Jane, 

Is there anyway I can prevent the error message coming up in the first place? It is not ideal to have to actively local sync every file that I want to use. 

Thanks!

Dropboxer

I understand that this isn’t ideal to you at the moment @rorykemp however I’m afraid that you can’t disable this notification (that’s merely because it aims to inform you on how your device handles your input). Regardless, I’m interested in checking back on whether there’s an option to avoid triggering it. If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you include the steps you’ve followed that led to this message in your next reply here, so as to try & re-create the behavior on my end? 

Thanks again & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

Level 3

Hi Jane, 

Essentially I downloaded the latest version of Dropbox onto my new Windows 10 laptop and logged into my company account. Due to the large number of files I opted for the 'Online' sync to save space on my laptop. Once all of the files had synced to my laptop I noticed that this error message appeared whenever I tried to open a file on any microsoft office programme (word, ppnt etc.) regardless of the size. It seems to be fine opening other files e.g. PDF and PNGs. I am able to manually sync files to 'Local' however on my old laptop I could simply open them and it would do it automatically. 

Highlighted
Dropboxer

Thanks a lot for explaining matters in such detail for me @rorykemp, it's been mostly appreciated! 

I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your current setup through our Official Support channel. So as to look into the matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again for your ongoing cooperation & happy Friday!

Jane

Level 2

One of our Dropbox for Business users are experiencing this same issue.  They can open the locally synced files but cannot open the cloud-synced files. They get an "unspecified" error message when trying to open the files that are cloud-synced.

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Error messages.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.