Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: User is Banned when sharing

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @ljsettles

I had a look from my side and was able to locate your request. I can see that it’s under review by a specialized member of the team. I’ve passed your comments along to them, and they’ll get back to you via email as soon as they have more info. 

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropboxer

Thanks for nudging me on this one Camilo. I've just sent you an email to your Dropbox associated address so we can work towards a resolution together and with all of my tools at my disposal. 

Take a look at my message (ticket ID:9013598 ) and we'll take it from there!

Until we speak again, have a lovely day ahead. 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

"User is Banned" message, sharing not available

Level 2

Hello everyone,

As of today, when  I try to share anything (file or directory) with anyone, I get a message called "User is banned", and sharing cannot be completed.

This seems to be a new development, since up until a month ago (the last time I shared a directory) I was able to do it.  Also, I saw that several other users seem to have the same issue, although no clear answer has been posted on a solution.

Notably, all my previously shared files and directories remain okay, and whenever I upload new content in them (a new file in a shared directory), the people that share it with me can see the new files correctly.  I just can't seem to perform new sharing actions.

Re: "User is Banned" message, sharing not available

Dropboxer
Hey there (@fbaltoumas), thanks for the detailed message!

Following your post here, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email connected to your Community profile gathering all the details you’ve included on this discussion. You may have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience if you’d like us to work on that together. Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 2
I am also having user banned errors on whatever folder I am sharing or file. Very frustrating. How do I fix

Super User II
You will need to log a ticket with support and ask for assistance: www.dropbox.com/support to log http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

It finally got resolved.  As it turned out, the "User banned" message didn't mean that it was the people that I was attempting to share with.  It meant that "I" (the user) was banned!!!  To get it addressed )almost two days, I had to "You will need to log a ticket with support and ask for assistance: www.dropbox.com/support to log http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track".   I sent several 911 emails.  I finally received an email that it was cleared.  I had to reply and ask what happened.  I did not get a clear reason as to why.  I did get the following:

If we receive a DMCA takedown notice, it means that we’ve been asked to remove shared links or file requests for content in your Dropbox. Your links are then temporarily or permanently “banned,” due to one of the following reasons:
- The link or request generated a large amount of traffic.
- The link or request exceeded our bandwidth or download limits.
- The link or request went to copyrighted content.

To prevent abuse, Dropbox accounts have the following limits:
- Basic (free) accounts: 20 GB of bandwidth and 100,000 downloads per day
- Plus, Professional, and Business accounts: 200 GB and unlimited downloads per day

To protect your security and privacy, we have very limited information about your file activity. This means we can’t provide information about why a particular link or file request was banned.

If one or more of your links were banned, it’s likely because of one of the following reasons:
- You shared a link with someone who then shared it with lots of other people (and who downloaded the file).
- You shared a link with someone who downloaded it lots of times.
- You requested files, and received a large number of uploads.
- You requested files, and someone uploaded the same file multiple times.
- You requested files, and the recipient forwarded that request to other users who all uploaded files.

Each upload and download—even if it’s made by the same person multiple times—counts toward your bandwidth limit. For example, if you have a 2 GB file and someone downloads it five times, that’s 10 GB of bandwidth.

If one or more of your links were banned, the DMCA limits what we can do. One option would be to create new links from a new Dropbox account. However, the same bandwidth limitations will apply.

• Note: Shared links and file requests are banned temporarily (1 day for the first time), and will be restored when the ban has expired. You should be able to use shared links and file requests afterward.

Note: Dropbox doesn’t offer a way to buy additional bandwidth allowance for your account.

------- It was very upsetting that there wasn't a phone number to call.  This was a huge problem for me and my clients.  I am now reconsidering Dropbox as a cloud solution and reviewing others.

Super User II

@ljsettles - Dropbox does offer phone and live chat support, but, rightly only does so on the paid plans. Seems only reasonable that to use and expect business level service and support you pay for that. Free users have to use email only.

www.dropbox.com/plans

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

I am continue with the same problem, and really i need to share, my option now is use google drive. Please solve the problem, and tell me why i can share, actually i pay US$ 138,00 /

@Walter  escreveu:

Hey there @Emergeware, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

I've just sent you an email to your Dropbox associated address so we can have a more in depth look into this. 

Take a look at my message (ticket ID: 9004622) and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

year, and I can share ? Help please !

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists for you @Emergeware.

Unless you get back to me via email through your existing (ticket with ID: 9004622) I won't be able to assist further at this point. Note that this is for security reasons as I'll need to look into your account specifics to further investigate. 

If you'd like to open a ticket from your end (in case you're having issues with locating the one I created on your behalf) you may do this from the following page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Let me know how it goes.

Walter

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

User is Banned when sharing
71 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution