cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Dropbox to backup iTunes

Using Dropbox to backup iTunes

KarlWiderquist
New member | Level 2

I want to use dropbox to backup iTunes and especially to make the transfer as seemless as possible when I upgrade to a new computer. Should I just move my iTunes library into my dropbox folder, or should I move my whole iTunes app into dropbox?

8 Replies 8

gtrjay
Explorer | Level 3

I am looking for the same answer as well. My dropbox says I don't have enough space. My Itunes is 17GB and I have 1 TB of DB space. I must be doing something wrong

Rich
Super User II

Are you sure it's referring to the space in your Dropbox account and not the available space on your local drive? Remember, Dropbox is not a virtual volder or drive where the files only exist in the cloud. It's a folder on your computer like any other. Anything you put in it takes up space on your local drive. If you have iTunes on that drive and you make a backup of it to Dropbox, you now have two copies of the files on your local hard drive.

Elixir
Super User

You need to backup only your iTunes Media folder. You don't need to backup iTunes app, you will be able to download it fresh. You can find your Media folder location in iTunes preference: 

macos-itunes12-7-preferences-advanced-share-itunes-library.jpg

Once you are on the new system. You can move the iTunes media folder to the defaut location. Then start iTunes by holding down the Option key. You will see following screen: 

macos-itunes12-7-choose-library-modal.jpg

Choose the iTunes folder. Choose the iTunes Library.itl file inside. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

I'd like to give a few warnings when doing this, assuming you have multiple devices that will be using the same library file from Dropbox.

Firstly, and most importantly, if you're opening the same library on multiple computers at the same time, you're going to get a conflicted copy if there are any changes made.

Most likely there will be changes, namely to the number of plays a certain song has, since that one always changes the moment you finish playing a song. The last thing you'll want is a conflicted copy since you'll get very confused very quickly, and will cause you more hassle than it's worth in the long run.

Secondly, if you're using Mac and Windows, while sharing the same iTunes library, there's a small possibility that there could be incompatibility between the OSes themselves.

Security permissions on Mac might not translate well to Windows, likewise with Windows to other Windows machines. I've experienced this issue with all my iTunes library, and it wasn't even located in Dropbox! External drives, internal drives with different formats (NTFS, HFS, exFAT) all add up to make a mess.

While what you're looking for is possible, bear in mind the above before you start using it!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gtrjay
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone and thanks for the feedback so far. No, I want to save to dropbox really to transfer from old PC to New one and have a master back up. I wont be listening via dropbox

Jay
Dropbox Staff
That's fine, twas just a precaution!

Make sure to follow any extra steps from the official Apple site, namely deauthorizing your old PC, and transferring any backups of your iOS device, and so on.

Enjoy!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nonamebc
Explorer | Level 3

yeah, um that choose library screen never came up.  it just opened like normal and reverted back to the original file location under MUSIC on my HD.  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Ian Z.3
Helpful | Level 6
Before clocking on the iTunes app. Hold down the alt key. Then click on the iTunes app.

You'll get an option to choose library. Now you can select /Dropbox/music/iTunes.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ian Z.3 Helpful | Level 6
    nonamebc Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    gtrjay Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?