Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Warning Message when I move a file between folders

Level 2

I am using dropbox to sync all my document files between two computers.  I get the following message when I try to move a file between folders: 

If you move these items to __________________, they won't be available in Dropbox or on any devices.

I am not exactly sure what this means in the context of my choices which are "cancel" or "move out of dropbox" - what happens if I select move out of dropbox - will the file remain on my desktop computer but not be synced to my other computers?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Warning Message when I move a file between folders

Dropboxer
Hey there, @ramunco!

At first, please bear in mind that syncing, one of the core Dropbox features, keeps your files up-to-date across the website and any other connected device (ie. your computers and phones/tablets). When you make changes to content (such as edit, add or delete files and folders), those changes will be applied to your account throughout. 

More specifically, when you move a folder or a file outside of your Dropbox folder, it’s like deleting it from the Dropbox folder and placing it into another location on your computer. This, for the desktop app, is a deletion not just from your Dropbox folder, but your Dropbox account in general, which includes the website and other connected devices. 

Having said that, if you choose to Cancel the process, it will stay in your Dropbox folder and continue to be synced across. If you choose to Move out, it will translate to you moving it out of the Dropbox folder, into another location, and thus removing it from your account as a whole. 

You can also find more info regarding this in this article

I hope this helped clarify matter a bit more. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Lusil: thanks very much - very logical process now that you point it out to me slightly smiling face  I can  make my modifications on the web site and let it sync those changes to the computers.

Regards, Ramunco

Dropboxer

Glad I could help, Ramunco! If you have any other questions, you know where to find us. smiling face with sunglasses In the meantime, have a wonderful week ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Error Messages

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Warning Message when I move a file between folders
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post