cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

karp21k
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Check that .Net Framework is updated in Windows Update. Updating will help.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi bn,

Thanks for your reply:

issue (1) was obviously the major nuisance;

issue (2) is less of a headache but has been going on at least as long as this thread when I originally posted last October - since then, a Dropbox update changed the log status in the Event Viewer from 'Error' to 'Information' - so this problem has been going on for nine months (long enough for a pair of humans to produce baby) :slight_smile:.

I will not try the beta version of Dropbox but wait patiently for the next official program update.  As I have said, I can use the program appropriately for my own purposes with DbxSvc disabled so will continue in that manner until the matter is resolved.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi karp21k,

Thanks for your comment.  In my case my Windows 7 system is fully updated (including .Net Framework) and that has not had any effect on this Dropbox issue.

vielmetter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Not sure whether cumulative update 6 for Windows 10 or the Dropbox v29.4.20 update caused it, but this issue is back with Windows 10. My Application event log is full of these generating one every second. This is pretty annyoing if you're trying to use the event log to for anything but useless dbxsvc events. The only work-around for now seems to be to stop the dbxsvc and set it to manual startup.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/vLHXT

vielmetter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Affecting Windows 10 Pro with all patches applied with Drobpox desktop client v29.4.20 installed and dbxsvc running.

Event log filled with eventid 320 events stating the following:

Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds

Events appear every 10th of a second and fill event log in a matter of hours pushing out any useable event logs that may have existed there limiting the ability to use the windows application event log for troubleshooting.

Screenshot illustrating the issue: http://imgur.com/a/vLHXT

System details:

Windows 10 Pro with all patches applied including the latest Cumulative Security Rollup 6.

Dropbox v29.4.20 client.

Work-around:

Stop the dbxsvc service and set to manual startup. Once done the events immediately stop logging.

Thank you in advance for looking into this,

David Vielmetter

revjimb
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Since my client, running Windows 10 with Creator Update, loaded 29.4.20 it logs the following error once per second in application log:

"Failed to connect to the driver: -2147024894, retrying in 1000 milliseconds" 

Source Dbxsvc

Event Id 320

Is there a way to turn error off? Is there some kind of fix coming?

revjimb
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Just started another thread on this, it started on my machine the instant 29.4.20 loaded

revjimb
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Also not fixed in 30.3.15

revjimb
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Not fixed as of 30.3.15, changed to 60 second interval rather than 1 sec

revjimb
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Also posted on this.

If you install 30.3.15 it will reduce frequency of logging to once per minute.

This is still not a fix. I am leaving it shut down for the time being, hoping the fix is coming soon.

Need more support?