cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Failed to connect to the driver: -<longnumber>, retrying in 1000 milliseconds

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

CC2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Same version here
It started on 6/27 2:46 PM after a dbupdate of which I did not invoke.
Dbxsvc.exe is file version 1.0.23.0 in case that matters.
Don't have the time to dig much deeper.
Plan to shutdown the service till this gets fixed!

andrejp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks, yes, the retries are now at 6000 ms intervals. At least the system resources abuse is reduced.

aragornii
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
At 30 minutes (1800000 ms) now, thanks!

Jiggs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I've disable Dropbox. Might not return to it.
Why would an issue like this not just get fixed and pushed to users?
I've been monitoring this for months and now have given up waiting.
Many other cloud data saving services out there. Many offer more space anyway. Thanks for encouraging me to investigate. I'd recommend MS OneDrive.

aragornii
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
@Jiggs: Well, actually having an information message every 30 minutes (48 in total per day) doesn't seem too bothering to me.

svenluijten
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's "not so bad", but after all this, Dropbox still only aliviates the problem, instead of solving it completely? I'm with @Jiggs.

Jiggs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I still get it every second, including after downloading the app offered on the main site. The update to reduce it to every 30 minutes is not obviously accessible, and should just be pushed to all of us. 

With Dropbox enabled, my Application log is completely unusable. Every 30 minutes would be fine. Every second is insane.

jcholcomb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Jiggs wrote:
I've disable Dropbox. Might not return to it.
Why would an issue like this not just get fixed and pushed to users?
I've been monitoring this for months and now have given up waiting.
Many other cloud data saving services out there. Many offer more space anyway. Thanks for encouraging me to investigate. I'd recommend MS OneDrive.

Yes, MS OneDrive.  In case anyone doesn't know it yet, if you subscribe to MS Office 365, that includes ONE TERABYTE of cloud storage with the subscription.  The only reason I keep DropBox (and Google Drive) is because I have many friends and business relationships who do not have OneDrive, or for one reason or another prefer DropBox or Google Drive.

revjimb
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

My problem didn't begin until 29.4.20 loaded. Then I got the message every second until I loaded 30.3.15. Once I loaded 30.3.15, it gave the error every second for a couple minutes, then every minute for about 30 minutes, then it went to every 30 minutes (1800000 ms).

You're right that isn't a fix, it is a work around. For me that is the difference between unloading it or not.

Hope to see a fix soon.

aragornii
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
@Jiggs: You have to enable the "beta channel" logging in in dropbox.com and going to settings. After that Dropbox will automatically update to 30.3.15.
Need more support?