cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

mat-glock
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for jumping in 7 months into the issue.  I've since moved on to another product, but maybe your "hours" of effort will help someone else.  Heck there have been days of effort burned by people who use your product.  

Now that the beta is out, hopefully this will be fixed by January 2018.  

lwclow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

t

Rylos
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been having this issue for a while now. I found the fix on my own of disabling the dbx service but it eventually comes back to life because the dbupdate service will kick on and clean up the fact that the dbx service is disabled. I've found that my PC randomly blue screens with the service enabled and after disabled, it's fine. I'm pretty frustrated at the lack of attention this issue has gotten as it's been going on for quite some time.

Rylos
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Also, the problem is not the frequency you write this error to the event log. The problem is that it installs this when it doesn't need to be installed. It also is causing stability issues on many users computers so it's not a benign error that we can just look past.

joex
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree with the stability issues. I've now uninstalled the application to avoid them. I'll probably come back in say 6 months time and see if this isue has been fixed.

HappyChap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I noticed the problem because my computer makes the USB connect/disconnect sound every time it happens. It seems that it happens every second for a while then it resets to try in an hour so there is a gap before more multiple attempts. I am using an HP Spectre with Windows 10 Pro, fully updated. Looks like I also need to disable this service as a temporary workaround. I will flag re-enabling it in 3 months in case Dropbox have fixed it by then. It only started for me about a week ago.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your belated input.

I am glad Dropbox is looking at the issue but, when you consider how long it has been going on, surely there should have been some sort of resolution by now.

Really it is not good enough to say that "It should be failing to connect. This is by design, the actual issue you’re facing is due to the frequency we're writing to the logs".  If it is "by design" then it is pretty poor design that the repetitive logging is taking place throughout a computer session - the key to good design is that function is achieved effectively; other aspects, including aesthetics etc. are subordinate so if the main function is impaired, then the design is flawed.  That is the case with Dropbox at present - expecting users to use a beta version is not the answer; yes, users prepared to explore a beta version to feedback to Dropbox is one thing but to expect all users to do that for very limited improvement is not acceptable.

You can see that many users are 'voting with their feet' and dropping Dropbox.  You should not experiment with your main body of users if you want to keep them on board but restrict all such experimentation within the beta test versions and only releasing the changes into the everyday versions once all snags have been resolved.  Your disregard for your users is an unhealthy and disrespectful approach that is not good for Dropbox - it is sad to say that, what was a a good, effective facility, is now tainted and developing a quite negative reputation.

For the moment I will keep Dropbox but only with dbxsvc disabled (I don't particularly require 'Smart Sync' and neither will I update to a beta version for little gain) - I have to say, however, that I am trialling a competitor, namely Box, which gives me five times more storage space (in the free personal version) and, so far, has run very smoothly.

joex
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OMG!  I've been getting that sound too for the past few weeks at sporadic times.  I thought it was my PC playing up, and it might still be.  Now that I've uninstalled DropBox today I'll see if the sound is gone for good or not.

UPDATE: Well after removing DropBox I've had no intermittent beeping as though a USB device was unplugged. It was happening at least once a day before the removal.  A few times over the past couple of months my keyboard and mouse (both wired) also froze after the beeps so I wonder if those events were caused by DropBox as well. Time will tell.

HappyChap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I posted earlier today that I have the USB connect and disconnect sounds coming up and thought it might be connected with the Dropbox messages - reckon I was wrong - I am seeing a system event log information message that says it is to do with 'nhi' - whatever 'nhi' is. I have the Dropbox messagess as others describe but it is not casuing me grief so I will let that one go for the time being.

TGellan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem, entry to eventlog EVERY SECOND!!!

Coupled with another problem (selective sync not working) I'm seriously considering dropping Dropbox after multiple years of usage 😞

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

katnappa Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Kester Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?