cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

marcoliver
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Another Dropbox User who constantly checks about this issue. quite surprised that there is no solution for this error.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I just another submitted a help request via https://www.dropbox.com/support/s/31/6262804/c/31

I would suggest everyone else do the same so an actual Dropbox employee will see this issue.

LucasFrance
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Still not fixed in 15.4.22 ..........

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ticket #5145689: DB: Any luck fixing this overly-documented issue?
You can add a response by replying to this email.
Please be sure to reply with the same email address that you used to originally contact us.

Amber, Dec 5, 10:05 AM PST:
Thanks for contacting Dropbox support, I will be happy to help you!
Could you please provide the following information, so that I can troubleshoot?
- Please describe the issue you’re experiencing in as much detail as possible (including instructions on how to reproduce the issue).
- Could you please send a screenshot of the issue (including any error messages)?
If you have questions about how to take a screenshot, see the following:
http://take-a-screenshot.org/
Finally, could you clarify which web browser you are using and on which operating system please?
Best Regards,
Amber
We have just launched a brand new Dropbox community! You can find immediate answers 24/7. Check it out http://dropboxforum.com

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To note, I provided a link to this thread and the event log details and still got the generic reply posted above from Dropbox Support.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Amber, Dec 6, 11:56 AM PST:

Our development team is working on the issue.

If you have any additional information or screen shots, please feel free to submit them.

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,
Amber

We have just launched a brand new Dropbox community! You can find immediate answers 24/7. Check it out http://dropboxforum.com

glatzfront
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

EventID 320 DbxSvc (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.

Installing Dropbox creates this error in the event viewer on two Windows 7 operating systems.

I haven't found any problems with using Dropbox but have only just started with it.

This error causes problems in the Task scheduler with modifying and importing a task.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi glatzfront,

Please could you expand on the the Task Scheduler problems.  It's not something I have noticed but then I rarely look at the Task Scheduler so may have missed the problem.  It has not been mentioned by others posting on this thread either but again may be missed if an individual is not looking at the Task Scheduler.   In checking my Task Scheduler, I cannot see anything untoward - the scheduled items have behaved normally but I haven't tried modifying or importing a task as yet.  It may be an unrelated problem - have you tried stopping Dropbox starting at Startup (click notification area icon, click 'Settings' icon at top right of window, open preferences and untick first item in 'General' tab) to see if the the Task Scheduler problem still occurs.

glatzfront
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I uninstalled Dropbox and there was no change

Still getting EventID 320 DbxSvc (-2147024894) "The system cannot find the file specified" and still having problems in the Task scheduler with modifying and importing a task

I edited the registry, removing the Dropbox entries that were installed that I could find. Still no change.

I restored the registry to a couple of days back and now I do not get EventID 320 DbxSvc but I still have the Task scheduler problems

The Task scheduler appears to function properly until trying to import or modify. If others want to check this I believe the following will help

To modify: Start-Administrative tools-Task scheduler-left column select "Task scheduler library"-right column select "Properties". I have to use the Task manager to get out of this error.

To import you will have to export a task to the (Desk top?) first: Start-Administrative tools-Task scheduler-left column select "Task scheduler library"-Center column select a task to export (makes a copy only)-right column select export- select destination and save

To import: Start-Administrative tools-Task scheduler-left column select "Task scheduler library-select import-navigate to the task that was exported and select it-this is where the error occurs

If able to import a task you should be able to select it and then delete it, right column

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi glatzfront,

From what you say it appears that the Task Scheduler problems are not related to EventID 320 DbxSvc (-2147024894) so, if you want Dropbox, reinstalling it should not be a problem other than the appearance of the Event Viewer error on each startup.  It may be worth you posting on a Windows  7 forum such as http://www.sevenforums.com/ regarding your Task Scheduler problem.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

katnappa Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Kester Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?