cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip files will not open... 'invalid'.

Zip files will not open... 'invalid'.

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Hello!

I'm having a problem with zipped files from Dropbox.  Apparently, it's only affecting folders.  In a nut shell, I'm operating on a mac.  I upload video files, ranging from 1GB-10GB's in size, for my clients to download. I share hundreds of these videos each year.  I was with another service but decided to switch to Dropbox recently.  

Now, after I upload a video file or two to a folder for one of my clients, once downloaded... by myself or my client... doesn't matter if it's MAC or PC or Safari or Chrome or Firefox, etc., we all get the error message the zipped file can not be opened and is 'incomplete' or 'invalid'.  

Now, if I send a download link for an individual file, no problems.  Of course, that way, it's not zipped.  But if there's multile files, that can be a pain to copy and paste every link for each individual file within any given folder.  

I read other threads about this problem and they've been labeled 'solved' after some 'updates' by Dropbox.  But this certainly has not been my experience.  

This issue virtually renders my whole purpose for using Dropbox counterproductive.  

What is the problem with zipped folders?!

Any help would be appreciated.  

17 Replies 17

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Hey @ravenmb,

This error require additional investigation, so I'll ask you to create a ticket at https://www.dropbox.com/support page.
When you create it, let me know of the ticket number so we can investigate it as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the quick response, Minato!   I'll create a ticket now. 

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Minato,

The ticket # is 7796950. 

Thanks again for the prompt response!

Minato
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ravenmb

The ticket has been located and a colleague has been assigned to it.

Let me know how it goes!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Will do... thanks again. 

jnpg
Explorer | Level 4

I am having this same issue. I downloaded it to my computer after my client told me what was happening, and it opened fine. The file is large and even zipped it took hours to upload it for me. I need a solution fast, as they need these video files for an event this weekend.

Minato
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jnpg,

I will ask you to create a ticket to our support page and tell me the number so it can investigated as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox

ravenmb
Explorer | Level 4

Why does this keep getting 'accepted as a solution'?!   There has been no solution to this problem.  Reporting a problem to Dropbox by 'creating a ticket', is not a solution.  It's asking for help.  

jnpg
Explorer | Level 4

Not only that, but I can't find where to fill out a ticket. The problem was never resolved, and I ended up having to pay a courier to run a file on a hard drive to the client. This has not been a very good ROI for me...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ravenmb Explorer | Level 4
    jildo Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?