cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

public link error 404

public link error 404

Luca S.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello.
My public links are blocked on my account (I get 404 error).

Please unblock, I really not use them over the quote.. can't understand because I'm blocked..

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

martchyke wrote:

In my case, i was using a premium package. why should you suspend my link because of increase in traffic or bandwidth usage if i am a premium user. Is that not why i am paying.

There are still bandwidth limitations on paid accounts; they're just a lot higher than on Basic accounts. Where a Basic account has 20GB of bandwidth for share links, paid accounts have 200GB. If you go beyond 200GB in a 24-hour period, all of your links will be suspended.

most of my Public Links are down and i dont know how to get them back up.

How were these links created? Were you using the Public folder (if you had on) to create them, or were you creating a share link to the files? If you were using the Public folder, that feature was deprecated in 2012 and finally disabled in September of this year. Any files in the Public folder that had links would have stopped working, and the Public folder would have been changed to a regular folder.

If you were using share links, what's the error message that the recipients are receiving? If it's a 429, that's the typical bandwith error, though it could be caused by other reasons. Only Dropbox Support can tell you the actual cause (it could be a virus, malware, copyright claim, etc.). It they're getting a 404 error, then the links are pointing to a file that has likely been moved, renamed or deleted.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A 404 is not a blocked error message. It means file not found. A suspension of your links would result in a 429 error. The item your link is pointing to has likely been removed or the link was deleted.

Luca S.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

sorry.. I mistake on error code above.

I get this error:
"Error (429)

This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

But I didn't do much traffic, for sure

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A first-time suspension for a bandwidth overage is 24-72 hours and will be lifted automatically. Each subsequent suspension lasts longer. If you're a Basic user, upgrading to Pro will also clear a bandwidth related suspension (because it increases your limit from 20GB/day to 200GB/day).

There are other reasons suspensions occur as well, and due to privacy concerns, the message will always say that it's bandwidth related. The file could have been reported as part of a DMCA request, it could contain a virus or malware, etc. There are many other reasons. In these cases, the suspensions are not lifted automatically and you need to contact Support.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

martchyke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In my case, i was using a premium package. why should you suspend my link because of increase in traffic or bandwidth usage if i am a premium user. Is that not why i am paying. most of my Public Links are down and i dont know how to get them back up. There are many of them, surely not something one has to be restoring one after another. DropBox i need help with this. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

martchyke wrote:

In my case, i was using a premium package. why should you suspend my link because of increase in traffic or bandwidth usage if i am a premium user. Is that not why i am paying.

There are still bandwidth limitations on paid accounts; they're just a lot higher than on Basic accounts. Where a Basic account has 20GB of bandwidth for share links, paid accounts have 200GB. If you go beyond 200GB in a 24-hour period, all of your links will be suspended.

most of my Public Links are down and i dont know how to get them back up.

How were these links created? Were you using the Public folder (if you had on) to create them, or were you creating a share link to the files? If you were using the Public folder, that feature was deprecated in 2012 and finally disabled in September of this year. Any files in the Public folder that had links would have stopped working, and the Public folder would have been changed to a regular folder.

If you were using share links, what's the error message that the recipients are receiving? If it's a 429, that's the typical bandwith error, though it could be caused by other reasons. Only Dropbox Support can tell you the actual cause (it could be a virus, malware, copyright claim, etc.). It they're getting a 404 error, then the links are pointing to a file that has likely been moved, renamed or deleted.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    martchyke New member | Level 2
    Luca S.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?