cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Export Failed" when trying to download file to iPhone

"Export Failed" when trying to download file to iPhone

SirenWilliams
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just got a new iPhone that is only connected to my home wifi connection, and I've downloaded Dropbox and I'm trying to save a short video to my phone from my DropBox folder to share on Instagram, as I've done routinely in the past with my old iPhone. For some reason, it keeps saying "Export Failed" and was first saying to check the wifi connection (my wifi connection is fine), and now it's just saying "Dropbox was unable to download the file".  

What's happening??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @schwa2220, welcome to our community! 

It seems that the file type, and the way it was encoded, may be behind this. 

Can you tell me: 
  • When did this start happening? 
  • Does this happen with all videos? 
  • What file types does this error occur with? 
  • How big are the videos you’re having issue with? 
Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 
Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SirenWilliams, welcome to our community! 

Is this still going on? If so, please make sure that your iPhone’s operating system is fully up to date, and that you’re using the latest version of our mobile app, 86.2

Next, as you’re downloading this video from your Dropbox, make sure you’re following this method: 

• find the video in your Dropbox, using our app
  • tap on the ellipsis icon ( … ) to the right of the file name
  • choose Export
  • choose Save Video
This will save the video to your Photos, and from there you can share/upload it to Instagram. 

If this doesn’t do the trick, try uninstalling our app, restarting your phone, and then installing our app again from the App Store

I hope this helps. Let me know when you can. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

SirenWilliams
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I think I may have remembered something. I'm saving the short videos as .mov files, and I'm beginning to remember that I can't save those to the phone. When I save in a lower quality out of iMovie, it saves as mp4, which I can load into the phone and onto Instagram. But does anyone know how to get a higher quality video on Instagram? I do loads of promo in my Instagram @SirenWilliams and I have to post a video for a camera company, and it needs to looks good to show the quality of the camera. I might be screwed on that one. 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @SirenWilliams,

I’m afraid that I don’t know enough about Instagram to help you here. However, I’ve just done an internet search for high quality videos on Instagram, and there were quite a few results that looked promising :wink:

Have a great weekend! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

schwa2220
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Sanchez - I was receiving the same "Export Failed" error as @SirenWilliams so I followed your directions uninstalling, restarting phone and reinstalling. It appeared to be working and then I received the following error: "sorry this type of video cannot be saved to this device". Can you help? I'm using an iPhone 6s running on iOS 11.3.1

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @schwa2220, welcome to our community! 

It seems that the file type, and the way it was encoded, may be behind this. 

Can you tell me: 
  • When did this start happening? 
  • Does this happen with all videos? 
  • What file types does this error occur with? 
  • How big are the videos you’re having issue with? 
Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 
Cheers!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Gstudio1977
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi Sanchez, im also having this issue when exporting mp4 file from dropbox to my iphone. Has same error msg

I manage to download 2 previous videos which are mp4 but for some reason this latest video also in mp4 does not export to my iphone and displays the error msg

File size for latest video is 195mb.
Previous ones also arnd the same size. One thing that is different for this latest video is that its shot and rendered as 4k from premier pro and the other previous videos all shot and rendered in 1080p.

Please help

Justiniath
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Check if it is an interlace export. Thats what was causing my issues

kelseyrowe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do you check if it is an interlace export?

kelseyrowe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using adobe premier pro and I am having the same problem I have tried to export from my PC to my iphone and it starts downloading then gives me the error. I am doing a stop motion video and for some reason these dont seem to download to my phone even though I am using mp4. I have also tried various other file types. The file size is 88mg and I have sent other ones to my phone using dropbox. I don't know why not these ones. This is so frustrating... I hope you can help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Superflytnt New member | Level 2
    Justiniath New member | Level 2
    kelseyrowe New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?