cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"There was an error downloading your file. " Why Can't I download a shared folder ?

There was an error downloading your file

TRabb
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey there. Never experienced this issue before, but can't seem to download individual files within folders and get that error message. Can download the folder containing the files though.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your swift reply on our discussion here @TRabb!

I’d like to further investigate whether I’m getting the same behavior when I try the same steps as you do through our Official channel. For that reason & in order to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks for reaching out on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @TRabb, sorry to hear that you’re having a difficulty downloading your files at the moment, let me follow-up with you a bit more closely & we'll take it from there.  

Just so as to exclude it from being a browser-specific error, I’d like to ask you if this persists through an incognito/private browsing window or even a different browser than your standard. Can you try switching once & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, clearing your browser's cache would be helpful.

In case your files are located in a shared folder, you may keep in mind that you could use our dekstop application to sync them down to your pc/Mac. 

If that persists, please do let me know here & I’ll make sure to investigate what’s happening in more depth. 

I’ll be awaiting your next update here, in order to work together towards a fix. Thanks in advance & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

TRabb
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Jane! Thanks for your quick response!

The issue unfortunately persists in Chrome (original browser), Safari, and Firefox. I also cleared my cached/cookies and tried using an incognito window in Chrome and no luck. 

Syncing the my Dropbox to my Mac is not an option, as my Dropbox has multiple TBs of files and my Mac has about 125 GB of total storage space.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your swift reply on our discussion here @TRabb!

I’d like to further investigate whether I’m getting the same behavior when I try the same steps as you do through our Official channel. For that reason & in order to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks for reaching out on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

lkees
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can't download files anymore. My permissions haven't changed, I logged out and back in, and reset my computer. send help

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @lkees, I’ve moved your post under this discussion, as I’d like to point you to the troubleshooting steps I had included in my first reply here. Let me quickly rephrase below for convenience' sake: 

Just so as to exclude it from being a browser-specific error, I’d like to ask you if this persists through an incognito/private browsing window or even a different browser than your standard. Can you try switching once & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, clearing your browser's cache would be helpful. 

In case your files are located in a shared folder, you may keep in mind that you could use our dekstop application to sync them down to your pc/Mac. 

Can you please have a look at my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know of the outcome on this discussion? It would be very helpful to me, as I’ll be able to recommend the best next steps for you. 

Thanks in advance for your time & efforts & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion, in order to fix this together. Until we talk again, I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

MahaOs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm trying to download this folder but i get this message i tried downloading it from firefox ,  chrome , opera but it's the same result : firefox doesn't even give me the error message

11111.PNG

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @MahaOs, I’ve moved your post into this conversation, in order to ping you to the previous hints that I had posted to TRabb above (i.e. trying again from an incognito window & clearing your cache). 

Moving forward, let me ask you a couple of questions below that will help me better understand what’s happening.

Are you trying to download these files through a shared link incidentally? Does it happen intermittently or have you noticed a pattern (eg. does it affect specific filetypes)

I'd appreciate it if you could you send me a link to the document that you're having trouble with (if you're comfortable sharing of course). For instructions on how to create a link to a file in your Dropbox, you may have a look at the steps outlined here

Once I have this info, I’ll make sure to focus more on the issue in question on this discussion. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on the matter & I’ll be awaiting your next message! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your swift reply @MahaOs. In order to move forward with that, I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf (gathering all info you’ve included here), so as to redirect your request to a specialized colleague, who’ll investigate this issue a bit more closely with you.

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks again for posting us on our Forum on the matter & I’ll be awaiting your next message!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?