cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DropBox_APi: General feature questions about DB_API.V2

DropBox_APi: General feature questions about DB_API.V2

dba_0n3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello together.

I am planning to use the dropbox business api to create some shared  files for a development team, which I am planning to establish. 
I am already playing with the SDK, which You delivered for the desktop app in C#.

Prior to switch to the business version of the dropbox-api/account, I am currently checking the features of that API.. and would like to ask some questions.

1) Does the UploadAsynch method still not offer an asynchroneous  Return Value
    representing the amount of uploaded bytes ( maybe even in percent ) ? 
    Some time ago I read, You may add this to a future release to enable an easy  a
    progress bar.  Any news about that ? 

2) If I issue UploadAsynch to Upload files in parallel to N db accounts,  is it really totally
    ascnhroneous implemented, meaning,  will my bandwith be the only  bottleneck?

3) Does the API offer inviting users via Mail and One-Usage-URL to have read
    access to a file, even if they do not have an dropbox account ?

4) Do all SDK's have 100 % the same features

THX a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) No, unfortunately the .NET SDK still doesn't offer a way to track upload progress like this.

2) As long as you're not uploading to the same team/shared folder across the accounts, uploads to different accounts won't affect each other.

3) The Dropbox API doesn't offer the ability to send emails from Dropbox for shared links, or make shared links good for one download only, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

4) The official Dropbox API v2 SDKs are all built from the same Dropbox API spec so they all offer the same API functionality. The SDKs have to be re-built whenever something is added to the spec though to get the new features, so they may sometimes lag behind the spec. Additionally, some SDKs have extra features specific to their local interfaces. E.g., while all of the SDKs enable access to uploading via the API, some of the SDKs do offer progress listeners.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) No, unfortunately the .NET SDK still doesn't offer a way to track upload progress like this.

2) As long as you're not uploading to the same team/shared folder across the accounts, uploads to different accounts won't affect each other.

3) The Dropbox API doesn't offer the ability to send emails from Dropbox for shared links, or make shared links good for one download only, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

4) The official Dropbox API v2 SDKs are all built from the same Dropbox API spec so they all offer the same API functionality. The SDKs have to be re-built whenever something is added to the spec though to get the new features, so they may sometimes lag behind the spec. Additionally, some SDKs have extra features specific to their local interfaces. E.g., while all of the SDKs enable access to uploading via the API, some of the SDKs do offer progress listeners.

dba_0n3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

THX a lot fopr this quick reply. ONce I posted the question on the right forum, it got it's answer immediately. (Forgive me, that I forst postet my question on the forum "For business" ).

Ok, regarding step

1) I will have to wrap this upload functionality, upload chunkwise and calculate the amount myself ? I saw this salready somewhere on the web.. maybve I give it a try...

2) Yes, they are totally different DROPBOXES, with their individual credentials and so on...

3) You mean, what I manually do in my dropbox ( meaning click on "share folder" and then enter some email adresses to invite people to my freshly shared folder ) is not possible via DROPBOX-API ? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) Yes, that would be the best workaround. You need to use upload sessions (where you upload the file in chunks) for large files anyway, so you can keep track of progress by how many chunks have been uploaded so far. 

3) To clarify, there are two different main types of sharing on Dropbox:

• "Shared links": This is what it sounds like you were referring to in your first message. It involves getting a read-only shared link to a file or folder. The link can be sent to and used by anyone, even if they don't have a Dropbox account. This is accessible on the API as CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync, but the API doesn't offer the ability to send the email for you. 
  • "Shared folders": This is what it sounds like you were referring to in your second message. It involves inviting specific people to a shared folder where you can give them read and optionally write access. The recipient needs a Dropbox account to use this. This is accessible on the API as ShareFolderAsync and AddFolderMemberAsync.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    dba_0n3 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?