Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Highlighted

2 Dropbox folders on same computer split by Recent - Older files

Helpful | Level 5

I have my DB folder on an external desktop hdd connected to a mbp with all my files synced locally, because I often need to access old projects (PT sessions with audio and video files). The hdd is big and heavy, not really portable and equipped with a power supply.

I was wondering if it is possible to "split" the main DB folder and keep only "old folders" in the hdd and have the "new folder" on the ssd of my mac. So that when I'm on the go I can still access recent file (or have access to a particular folder) and when I'm in the office, I can re-connect my mbp to the external hdd and have quick access to the complete DB folder without keeping re-downloading it.

I saw some reply on the community about creating 2 users on the mac and sign-in in the DB app separately, but this is not going to work for me as switching user on the mac is going to impact my workflow.

Are there any way to accomplish what I describe? 

Thanks,

3 Replies

Re: 2 Dropbox folders on same computer split by Recent - Older files

Super User II
No, that's not possible. Dropbox only supports syncing a single Dropbox folder.

Helpful | Level 5
Do you happen to know if this is by choice or a technical limitation?

I mean, could a feature like that be added in the future or is just the way the app syncing thing works?

Super User II

Its by choice and Dropbox have previously, quite recently in fact, rejected the possibility of changing the way the app currently works (i.e. only syncing 'Dropbox').

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

2 Dropbox folders on same computer split by Recent - Older files
3 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post