Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

404 error on Mac using Chrome trying to open file using Excel online

UDG
Explorer | Level 3

I have files in Dropbox that I've created and accessed easily since about July of 2018 on my Mac using Chrome and opening it in Excel online.  Since about 6/11/19, I can access my files in Dropbox and download them to open in Excel, but I 'd prefer to open them using Excel online to make quick edits.  I've tried shutting down and restarting both Chrome (version 75.0.3770)and my Mac - running OS Mojave 10.14.5  The issue also impacts trying open docs using Word online.

3 Replies

Re: 404 error on Mac using Chrome trying to open file using Excel online

Dropboxer
Hey there @UDG,

As a first step, could you try using a different web browser to see if the issue persists there too? also, please try using an incognito/private browsing window.

Finally, please try clearing your browser’s cache to see if that helps to resolve the issue and allow you to open files with Microsoft Office online.

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

UDG
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I'm still receiving the error after clearing the cache on Chrome, using an incognito window and also trying to open both Word and Excel online type dropbox documents.  Here's a screenshot of how I get to the doc that I want to open and the subsequent error:

2019-06-17_steps to get to doc.pngEdited by moderator

2019-06-17_Excel online error.png

Dropboxer
Hey @UDG,

Would you mind if I reach out to the email address associated with your Community profile so we can look into this further?

Otherwise, if you’ve already submitted a Support ticket with our team, please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) and I can follow up there with the info you’ve provided here.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

404 error on Mac using Chrome trying to open file using Excel online
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post