Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

A folder has been deleted online but my desktop app isn't able to sync the deletion, any help?

New member | Level 2

I own a Mac and I work with Microsoft Word and Excel docs. I have a shared locked folder on my computer, which was deleted by the administrator (not me). The folder is deleted from my online Dropbox but still shows up on my computer, and it is still trying to sync. I cannot delete it, I cannot edit it. The folders consist of Word and Excel docs, most of which are set as 'read only' by the administrator.  I've tried, get info/unlock folder, this does not work. Does anyone know how to remove this folder from my computer so that it will quit syncing?

4 Replies

Re: Syncing

Dropboxer
Hey there @Shepherd79,

If you were to try closing the Dropbox desktop app, will this allow you to then delete or move the folder to another location on your computer?

If you’re not familiar with closing the desktop app you’ll need to click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window and choose “Exit Dropbox” from the menu.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Daphne

Yes I have closed or quit Dropbox and then tried to move or delete the folders. I still get the same message, "the operation can't be completed becasue the item 'folder name' is locked". If I drag the folder to my desktop, all it does is make a new copy on the desktop. I was able to restore one of the originally deleted folders, which has stopped it from syncing continuously, but I still can't delete or edit. The other folder couldn't be restored becuase it was deleted over a month ago. I asked Apple Support they tried really hard to help me, but still no solution. The problem seems to be that the original share-er, shared the folder as 'read-only' (Microsoft) this has locked it (Mac) and now the permissions are not allowing me to do anything with it, even though it's no longer a shared folder in Dropbox.

Dropboxer

I’m glad to hear you’ve solved the issue with the syncing on your end! 

Regarding the folder that you’re not able to change in anyway at the moment, I’m wondering if you only have “view only” access to this through Dropbox. If you were to navigate to the folder in Dropbox and click the “Share” option next to it, can you let me know if you see yourself with “Can view” access. I understand you mentioned the folder is no longer shared but I’d just like you to double check this for me. 

Unfortunately, the folder that you mentioned you were unable to restore, if this was deleted outside your version history window then I wouldn’t be able to suggest anything further to try from Dropbox’s end.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Me pasó algo parecido, desapareciendome una carpeta (la mas utilizada) y conseguí restaurarla al volver a vicular mi pc con el movil. 

Los pasos es ir a  dropbox.com/connect en el pc y desde la aplicación en el movil escanear lo que aparece en tu aplicación de dropbox (pc) volverán aparecer todas tus carpetas y con las vinculaciones activas.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

A folder has been deleted online but my desktop app isn't able to sync the deletion, any help?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post