Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

A large number of photos has been deleted from my account. How do I get these back?

Explorer | Level 3

Drop box also has the right to delete 1000s of my photos...how do I get my photos back from them..??..

10 Replies

Re: Dropbox permanently deleting my contacts

Dropboxer
Hey @elizabeta, I‘ve moved your post on a new discussion, as you had posted under a slightly different topic. So, by the looks of it, it seems that you’re enquiring about missing content, am I on the right track? 

As an initial point of reference, you may keep in mind that there is a 30-day window (or 120/180 days on a Business/Professional plan) when it comes to restorations & (in most cases) you can restore missing content on your account from your Deleted Files page, where you can monitor any file additions/ deletions/ edits in shared folders. If you’d like more information about file restorations, please have a look at the article linked on the first page of this resource. Can you let me know what you can see there? 

Once you get a chance to have a look at my pointers, please do let me know of your findings & I’ll do my best to check back with you on this discussion. Thanks for taking a bit of your time to keep me updated in a bit more detail on the matter! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

no..

the problem is that i do not know how to use dropbox ...and i want to have full access to my photos to send to friends on the internet...and you block my access to send photos because you want the right to delete my photos..

not a good deal for me..

Super User II

Dropbox doesn't block access to your files, and it can't delete anything without being told to do so. It's simply not capable of deleting files on its own.

Have you looked on your Deleted Files page as Jane mentioned above?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I'm not an admin, but I am confused. Where in the terms of user agreement does it say Dropbox wants the right to delete your photos? I have all my photos on dropbox, all shareable (if I wanted too, at least one folder is fully shared with family), with no issue of my access being blocked if I didn't give Dropbox the right to delete my photos. If anything, I've mistakenly uploaded some of my photos twice with the purpose of sharing something only to realise it was already there. 

So, your reply doesn't make sense. The user agreement & terms of service is actually really short, you should read it, same with FAQ's. Nothing like iTunes & such. Especially since you are flat out stating you do not know how to use Dropbox. We can all sit here & cut & paste from the FAQ's, Terms of Service, etc. but that won't help if we aren't telling you the right thing because we don't understand the issue or you aren't willing to take a few moments to read the documents that might tell you the answer better than we can. 

So, I guess what I'm asking is, can you please walk us through, step by step, what is happening that you want help with? You stated photos were deleted, then said that wasn't the issue. Then said you want full access, which you should have, with the ability to share, which again, you should have. But you are saying your access is blocked because Dropbox WANTS to delete your photos? Or they already have? I'm unclear what the issue is. 

Explorer | Level 3

Rich -

When I try to send files by email...Dropbox asks for my google account so that it can have the permission to permanently delete files...when I choose to not take that risk...because of my very good knowledge of the English language and what Drop Box's statement means in both the Oxford and Webster dictionaries...I refuse...and am then blocked from sending photos from my Dropbox account to my friends and associates..

Now if the confusing statement by Dropbox is merely a problem of semantics...I would recommend that Drop Box rewrite the statement to reflect your statements and Dropbox's intentions..

I am sure that other users have been confused by what you infer to be our errors of interpretation of Dropbox's statement..

As a person with a lifetime of experience of contracts...I never sign anything that does not adequately reflect my intentions and goals...or that is confusing..

I will await Dropbox's response...as I am not satisfied with your 'community' response which is not a response that would have any legal standing for me or Dropbox..

The best solutions to this would be for Dropbox to send me an email stating that your interpretation of Dropbox's statement is correct..

Or they could merely rewrite their statement about deleting its customer's photos to reflect your statement and alert is customers on line that it has clarified the current statement...to make it more understandable to customers like myself..

I expect I would at that time be able to proceed with your questionaire to both Dropbox's and my satisfaction..

Best..

Elizabeth

Explorer | Level 3

I have never said that Dropbox has deleted my photos...

I diminished my knowledge of computers to permit 'community' members such as yourself to feel confident to speak up and explain what your interpretation of Dropbox's statement means...It is possible that there are other routes that I am unaware of to avoid agreeing with the statement...and it appears that you have one...which I would be happy to try..

Best..

Elizabeth

Explorer | Level 3

My own first statement I can now see could have been interpretted as meaning that I wanted to get back files that Dropbox had deleted..

That was not the intent...

The intent was to get back the right to use my photos freely...and to remove Dropbox's access to control my photos's use...without losing my access and ownership of my photos..

i.e. to close my Dropbox account with out damaging my photos...if Dropbox was unable to permit me to use them freely  because of its statement..

Elizabeth

Dropboxer

Hey @elizabeta, kindly note that the message you’re referring to pertains to your mobile contacts & we’ve discussed it here, however it would be worth noting that Dropbox wouldn’t delete your files without your input. I hope that this makes matters a bit clearer & please let me know of your findings regarding your missing photos Elizabeth!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Jane -

As far as I know...no photos have been deleted..

I do not generally go on community boards to get answers...and could not find a better thread than the lost photos thread...to ask a question..

I am in India helping underprivileged girls get educations..

So I do not have access to my computers in Denver..

Dropbox and google and most social programs and apps are governed by the rules of the country that the computer is communicating in..

India has almost no internet privacy laws to protect foreigners such as myself..

I expect that I will not agree to the statement that dropbox in India has asked me to agree to..

And will check Dropbox when I return to the USA...next year...to see if dropbox in USA has a different set up..

I will now deny Dropbox access to my cell phones while I am away from the USA...as my friends like to get copies of my pictures...which I will now send directly from the phone...when taken..

If I remove Dropbox from my computer will my photos be returned to me or will they be deleted..??..

Thanks for getting in touch..

Elizabeth

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

A large number of photos has been deleted from my account. How do I get these back?
10 Replies
2 Likes