Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

A shared folder empty, but only on one PC

Explorer | Level 3

I have 2 Dropbox accounts installed on 2 different PCs on the net. There is a shared folder. This morning the shared folder on my PC was empty. No files. On the remote machine however the files are there. If I drop a file into the remote folder, my local PC reports that a file has changed (in the taskbar balloon message) but no file appears. If I drop a file into the local folder it stays syncing continuously (blue icon overlay) and nothing happens on the remote PC.

This is a worry. Any suggestions?

6 Replies

Re: A shared folder empty, but only on one PC

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Smaller files sync first. Shared folders take quota from both accounts. Are the computers on the same LAN? Are the accounts both in your email address? Have both accounts been working ok until now? What OS? browser?

Explorer | Level 3

The folder was working fine till today and was fully sync'd. Both accounts are well within quota. The accounts have different email addresses. This PC (the one with the empty folder) is Win8.1, Chrome, DB v3.2.9. The other PCs are at a different location - there are 4 all on the same LAN, running Win8.1, 7, 7, XP. All 4 show the files as present and syncing amongst the 4 works fine.

The web app shows the files as present.

I guess the next thing to try is disconnecting from the account here and reconnecting (I've tried pausing and restarting sync).

Any computers on a corporate firewall?

Explorer | Level 3

The 4 PCs are at a business and are on a firewall of some sort - but it was working fine up until today.

firewalls must have certain ports open for dropbox to function, esp for LAN sync.

For this reason, and for certain security concerns, firewalls have been known to be 'updated'
without notice.

Consult with your IT person or persons.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rick. I'll investigate that one. I do remember that to get the dropbox stub installer to run on the 4 PC's they had to tweak some firewall settings.

But on checking just now, the problem seems to have resolved itself after I disconnected and reconnected the account. So all good.

I'm curious though and have a question on this: When the shared folder displays as empty, which it did for 2 days or so, have the local copies of the files actually gone? When it resolved after the disconnect/reconnect, would the files in the folder have been downloaded from the cloud again, or were they still hidden somewhere on my PC?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

A shared folder empty, but only on one PC
6 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post