Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

All files re-uploading after windows update

Level 5

After a windows 7 update yesterday, all my files and folders (190GB) are indexing and uploading again. This should not be happening as none of the files will have altered. It's using a lot of my computer's resources and is going to take days to complete.

Tags (1)
15 Replies

Re: All files re-uploading after windows update

Dropboxer
Hi there @Shredder_X

In general, any time the desktop app is re-linked, it may need to re-index and sync any pending changes before returning to normal activity.

Please bear in mind though that this can be caused by any changes in your computer’s OS too.  

Furthermore, from what I understand, during this process, you’re experiencing high CPU/RAM usage, is that right?

Although the desktop app tries to be as efficient as possible, it will occasionally use more RAM or CPU than expected. 

This behavior could be due to a number of factors, such as syncing a large number of files in your account or in your Dropbox folder, third party apps conflicting with the desktop app, or symlinks. 

For this reason, I’d recommend checking this article out for more info and ideas on tackling it. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or I missed something out!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Thanks, Lusil. It's not the syncing or indexing, but the fact that it's re-uploading all my files, eventhough none of them have changed.

Highlighted

Super User II

@Shredder_X wrote:

... it's re-uploading all my files, eventhough none of them have changed.

During a re-index it can appear to be uploading or download files, but it's only sending comparison data and, of course, any changes that it finds during the index process.

Level 5

So when the info pop-up says 'uploading 3,151 files...', it's not actually uploading them?

Dropboxer
You can confirm whether files are being uploaded or simply indexed from your events page

More specifically, if you see that there have been additions since your OS’s update, then they are being uploaded. If not, the are being indexed for changes. 

Let me know what you find, @Shredder_X!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 5

Thanks, Lusil

The last event is showing as yesterday at 21:25 (UK time) - there is nothing showing for today, even though I have edited and created more than 20 files.

Dropboxer
Hey @Shredder_X, it sounds like your desktop app is indexing for changes then. 

If you added these files from the desktop app (that’s still indexing), the events page may not show any additions yet as it’s still looking through for any changes on your account. 

Let me know if I’ve misunderstood and, if I have, please include a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the desktop app shows when you click on it. 

Thanks!

Lusil

Level 5

Thanks, I think you're correct, but the indexing doesnt seem to be progressing as it's been running for more than 24hrs - I know I have a large number of files, but even so, the files which should have been synced are still showing the 'syncing' symbol on them.

Dropboxer
In general, the performance of the desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. Although this is a soft limit which depends highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the app, some customers can sync more without issue.

To tackle this, you can apply selective sync to folders you don’t want on your hard drive. However, from what I understand, your folders haven’t synced yet and none of them show the green icon with the tick mark. 

In this case, what you can try is an advanced reinstall which is like installing the app for the first time on a new device with no pre-existing settings. 

Before completing the reinstallation, you’ll be asked if you want to apply selective sync settings to any folders that you don’t want on your hard drive. I’d recommend adding some folders to prevent them from syncing to your Dropbox folder and bring yourself approximately to the soft limit of 300,000.

If you’ve already done this or you find that it doesn’t help at all, don’t hesitate to nudge me and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks @Shredder_X!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

All files re-uploading after windows update
15 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution