Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

New member | Level 2

Today 6 August 2019 all my files in dropbox suddenly have .masok extention. For example my excel files now have .xlsx.masok extension. the same is for word, jpeg and pdf and other files; they all now have .masok added to the file name extension. When i try to open any of these files I obtain error. for example (Excel found unreadable content in filename.xlsx do you want to receover the contetns of this document? if you trust the source of this document, click yes). When I click yes i obtain the following error (excel experienced error , et...). I was able to recover the original file by using internet browser, logging to my account, going to version history, opening the file, and downloading it. but this is cumbersome since i have 10 giabytes of files i would like to receover. Any suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Best regards

Tags (1)
19 Replies

Re: masok file extention

Dropboxer
Hey @dralbahri, I ran a quick google-search on my end & it looks like a device linked to your Dropbox account has been infected by malware which has in turn encrypted your files causing them to become inaccessible. This can be scary, but our team can usually help restore access to your files.

As this pertains to account-specific details, I’ve now sent you a brief message through our Official Support channel & once you reply back to me, I’ll forward that to a specialized colleague, so as to proceed with a restoration on your behalf . Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

New member | Level 2

Today 6 August 2019 all my files in dropbox suddenly have .masok extention. For example my excel files now have .xlsx.masok extension. the same is for word, jpeg and pdf and other files; they all now have .masok added to the file name extension. When i try to open any of these files I obtain error. for example (Excel found unreadable or some chinese type content. Any suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Best regards

Faheem khan

New member | Level 2

OMG 

same problem herre !!!

help me..  my files in & out droopbox are infected :(

Dropboxer

Thanks for the nudge here @yousafzai191 & @rogoti, I’ve now sent you a brief message & once you reply back to me through our Official Support channel, I’ll submit your restoration requests to a specialized team member. Please have a look at your inboxes for my email at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there. Thanks again!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Re: All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

Explorer | Level 3

I have same error about my D:  disk what can I do ?

My Dropbox all files got MASOK.extension, How to solve

New member | Level 2

Yesteday 6 August 2019 all my files in my company dropbox suddenly have .masok extension. For example my excel files now have .xlsx.masok extension. the same is for word, jpeg and pdf and other files; they all now have .masok added to the file name extension. When i try to open any of these files I obtain error. Any suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Re: My Dropbox all files got MASOK.extension, How to solve

Dropboxer
Hey there @Hoong, I’ve moved your post to this thread to keep troubleshooting consistent, as other users are experiencing this behavior too. 

In order to have a more in-depth look on this matter, @Hoong and @Onur, I’ve sent you both a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profiles. 

When you have the chance, please check your inboxes for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from the you, peeps!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

We also experience the same issue. We badly needed all the files in our dropbox.

Dropboxer

Hey @kcaballero, sorry to hear that. 

I've sent you a ticket to your Community-associated email address to look into this with you using our internal tools. 

Please check your inbox for my message and don't hesitate to get back to me there. Thanks!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

19 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post