Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

(Application Saves) Using drop box as a cloud server?

Level 4

Hello everyone, ive been recently tasked with using Dropbox for Businesss as a form of cloud server where file saves can be stored and updated without directly using any local dropbox folders on my computer, so iam trying to find a way of using an online folder shared link that a particular application can use to update and edit saved files directly to the online Cloud Storage (folder).

The main point iam trying to make here is that is it possible to use a link for an application to save files to or is there a better way of using dropbox as an external storage source for files to be actively updated and edited? 

(Can i link it to the type of application that iam using as a storage Drive, except that this one is backed up to the online cloud based services)

Please if anyone can help me this is urgent i would like to recieve a reply within the next 3 hours if possiblem and thank you so much if you've made it this far in my Question/ Topic.

Regards

Stan17

6 Replies

Re: (Application Saves) Using drop box as a cloud server?

Super User II

Hi @Stan17 

What you want isnt possible I'm afraid. Simply put :( 

Dropbox is designed to have everything stored locally on all machines. You can, however, then elect to have them remote only and stored in the cloud OR in the cloud and visible on your machine, BUT, to use the files they will need to download first and then manually changed back to cloud only. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

Hey @Mark thank you so much for your response i now understand much better as to how i can utilize Dropbox properly, i think i will try the local machine way of things.

Last question whats the difference between a dropbox folder and a regular folder because it seems like the dropbox folder uses some sort of permissions, even though later on it updates the files to the cloud (Drive) using mart sync.

So Can a 3rd party application use dropbox folders on the local machine as a saves folder?

How can 1 achieve this because i'd like to this particular application and save the files i use to my dropbox folder?

Regards 

Stan17

Level 4

Does a shared dropbox link to a folder have a specific ipaddress? 

if so then how can i retrieve or discover this particular Cloudbased IP address, particularly an address linking to some sort  of folder on a dropbox account?

Regards 

Stan17

Super User II

There is no specific IP address for a share link. What you're looking to do just isn't possible with Dropbox. Perhaps you can use the Dropbox API to program something yourself, but out of the box, it's simply not possible. Dropbox doesn't work that way.

Level 4

Not a problem @Rich i agree.

Thanks for your response!

Regards 

Stan17

Level 4

Hey Guys the solution worked but now i seem to be experienceing Syncing issues.

(When i save files directly to my local dropbox folder on my pc the files dont update whats already on the cloud instead the cloud saves keep overwriting the Newly saved file.)

isnt there another way to block sync to pc feature?

insted save and overwrite to cloud?

Regards 

Stan17

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

(Application Saves) Using drop box as a cloud server?
6 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post