cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and SYNC selected folders from QNAP NAS

Backup and SYNC selected folders from QNAP NAS

Sousinho
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I have a server dilema, we have a small NAS server which my colleagues save projects too.  I simply want to be able to backup this particular folder (about 1 terabyte) onto the dropbox and sync as and when projects get added and updated.  

QNAP app has 'cloud backup sync' which lets you add dropbox account.  

So we got dropbox business and synced the folder and it exceeded 25,000 API calls and wont reset until end of the month.  There seems to be a fair few issues.

I can't be the only one who wants to backup some contents of a NAS server to the cloud? 

is the only solution is installing a drive directly onto my computer and have the app running locally?

Thanks

Roy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Just build a low-end/budget computer with a lot of storage (hard drives are cheap, especially this week) and a full operating system. Install the Dropbox client and move your data from the NAS to this comptuer. Share the Dropbox folder over the network and have people access the files there. Then use the NAS as a local backup for the Dropbox folder.

You'll have the benefit of network access to the files, with Dropbox syncing changes in real-time, and an additional layer of backup protection on the NAS should you ever need it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, since your NAS appears to be using a third party app, and thus using the API for data transfer purposes, you’ve reached the monthly limit as you’ve noticed. This is the same for our Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise plans.

If you want to avoid reaching the API limit, you can have the Dropbox folder on your computer and have it sync like normal. Note that trying to place the Dropbox folder on the NAS directly would cause issues, as they do not send messages when files change. 

When Dropbox first starts it will do a deep file scan and will detect changes and sync them. However, during normal operation, Dropbox waits for "file update events" and only physically connected drives send these events.

If you need to transfer large amounts of data using our API, our Server Integration plans might be more applicable to you. 

If you would like more information about this, please let me know and we can message you directly at the email address associated with your forum profile.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sousinho
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for replying.  Questions is how do i get dropbox to sync from my computer when the files are stored on the NAS?  it wouldnt be productive for me to move work from the NAS onto my desktop everytime somones makes a change?

Or have i missed something. 

Also, i have looked into higher API's but apparently that is for companies with 50 or more. 

Thanks

Roy

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If the NAS was physically connected to a computer (like you would do with an external drive) which was running the Dropbox desktop application, and the Dropbox folder was on the NAS itself, then the files could technically sync.

However, this does come with its own risks for external drives, leading to potentially deleted files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Just build a low-end/budget computer with a lot of storage (hard drives are cheap, especially this week) and a full operating system. Install the Dropbox client and move your data from the NAS to this comptuer. Share the Dropbox folder over the network and have people access the files there. Then use the NAS as a local backup for the Dropbox folder.

You'll have the benefit of network access to the files, with Dropbox syncing changes in real-time, and an additional layer of backup protection on the NAS should you ever need it.

DavidHelpTech
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Although this methos isunsupported, and may not work as seemlesly as native files, I think its worth a try... You could try to use symbolic links on your local pc so windows will make Dropbox think the network folders are local folders, see this article: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/make-dropbox-sync-any-folder-on-your-pc-using-symbolic-links/

and heres a GUI program to make it easier! 

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

But beware, you may need to force Dropbox to sync so that it will scan and update the symlinked network folder, see: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Syncing-when-using-symbolic-links/td-p/312221

FDA124824
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mi aggiungo alla discussione.....la mia situazione di sistema è la seguente. 5 Device collegati in rete che accedono ad una NAS che funge da server per la sola archiviazione dati. E fin qui tutto bene. Cambiamo studio ma, per esigenze dei clienti, teniamo la vecchia sede per uso saltuario. Dalla vecchia sede vorrei, tramite dropbox plus avere accesso alla copia backup, continuamente in sincro con la NAS. Vorrei ottenere il seguente risultato: con accesso tramite dropbox, modificare i file che, in automatico, modifichino quelli sulla NAS......è possibile? Io per sincronizzare la NAS con memoria estrna, uso SyncBack...potrebbe essere utile?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

FDA124824 New member | Level 2
    DavidHelpTech New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Sousinho New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?