cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backup entire Dropbox folder to cloud backup service

Backup entire Dropbox folder to cloud backup service

TL73
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have stopped using my local hard drive to store my files and instead upload everything to Dropbox.  Realizing the risk this presents, I'd like to create an automatic backup system as a precautionary measure and want to find out if there are any cloud backup services (e.g., Backblaze, etc.) that will synch with my Dropbox folder (not my local hard drive) and create automatic backups? If that's possible, what steps are involved in setting this up?  

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @TL73. Thanks for posting in the Community about this. 

There isn’t a way to back up your Dropbox desktop app folder  directly to other services, however there are third party services that can help you do this. Here you will find our official migration partners.

Hope other users jump in to this topic and offer more alternatives. 

Cheers! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Many of us consider Dropbox to BE a cloud-based-solution to backup. 

TL73
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rick - That has been my feeling, too, but it seems risky to only have a single copy of all of my data in one place, so I'm looking for a way to easily create a synched duplicate of all my cloud-based files. Am I being too cautious?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @TL73. Thanks for posting in the Community about this. 

There isn’t a way to back up your Dropbox desktop app folder  directly to other services, however there are third party services that can help you do this. Here you will find our official migration partners.

Hope other users jump in to this topic and offer more alternatives. 

Cheers! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

For personal photos sync & share dropbox with as many personal computers both on-site and off-site as you like.

For company confidential information you might feel the need for many "copies". Only you know if you're being 'too cautious.'

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Rick_M,

The @TL73's, question is reasonable. Note, Dropbox primary functionality is Syncing, not backup, even though such feature which mimics backup functionality, exists! If your needs are restricted just to "resurrect" unintentionaly deleted file/folder, it's Ok, but when you need full featured backup (for example unlimited multyversion for long time in the past - something tipical for big project of some types), then - additional backup is good idea (either as additional external service or localy implemeted - depending on needs). :wink:

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

I agree. But some of us forget to distinguish between system-backup and user-file-backup.

phaques
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ruanth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there TL73,

I know this might be an old question but I've recently had this thought as well. Dropbox is great and does provide a 180day file recovery for deleted files, but like you, having everything in one place seems to pose a bit of a risk. 

The best solution I've found as of February 14th, 2021 is using a service like "multcloud". For USD120 you can move "unlimited" data from Dropbox to a Backblaze bucket for example. They support several clouds including pcloud, google drive, Backblaze, amazon s3 just to name a few. This seems to work great for me and my team, and we're backing up 30TB between Dropbox and Backblaze.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who's looking for a similar solution

AndyTIC
New member | Level 2

Hi Ruanth,

I to found Multcloud and attempted to back my dropbox to Mega cloud. But I found that it was totally incapable of backing up my data. I have 3TB of data to back up, I tried to set the whole lot as a single task and after 13 hours it failed. I tried dividing the data down into sections so that the tasks would be smaller, but these to failed.

I'm still hunting around for a reliable cloud - cloud one way back up solution. For the time being I'm going to use an external HD and just sync it every few days. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Need more support?