cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Best way to submit video files

Best way to submit video files

BobGa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi - A business colleage wants a group of people to be able to submit individual video files to her Dropbox. She would prefer to do this without requiring each person to create their own Dropbox account. What is the best way for her to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bob

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

BobGa wrote:

Would your suggestions allow students to see each other's videos? This is what they are trying to avoid.

No. File Requests will not allow anyone except the recipient to see the files uploaded. Not even the uploader will be able to see the file after it has been submitted. Think of it like a drop box (an actual drop box, not the Dropbox service); once you drop something in, you can't see it or access it.

The Dropbox solution seems to involve more steps and therefore more complicated instructions. Or am I missing something?

Submitting a file request is extremely simply. Once your colleague creates the File Request link and sends it to their students, they just click it and submit a file. Here's an example that you can test with if you'd like:

In this example, I've created a file request that has a deadline of January 20th at 11AM EST but will accept late submissions for one extra day. Any submissions received after 11AM tomorrow will be marked as late (this is often useful for teachers/students). Also, please note that this goes to my personal Dropbox so please do not submit anything of a personal or sensitive nature. I would suggest a sample document or an image/video.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

BobGa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich.

In this particular case my colleague is asking high school students to submit short videos for a contest (which they have previously done through writing essays). Would your suggestions allow students to see each other's videos? This is what they are trying to avoid.

I use Dropbox in my office, but for this I'm wondering if We Transfer would make more sense. The instructions would be easier, as the student would just do a quick upload then send an email.

The Dropbox solution seems to involve more steps and therefore more complicated instructions. Or am I missing something?

bg

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

BobGa wrote:

Would your suggestions allow students to see each other's videos? This is what they are trying to avoid.

No. File Requests will not allow anyone except the recipient to see the files uploaded. Not even the uploader will be able to see the file after it has been submitted. Think of it like a drop box (an actual drop box, not the Dropbox service); once you drop something in, you can't see it or access it.

Submitting a file request is extremely simply. Once your colleague creates the File Request link and sends it to their students, they just click it and submit a file. Here's an example that you can test with if you'd like:

In this example, I've created a file request that has a deadline of January 20th at 11AM EST but will accept late submissions for one extra day. Any submissions received after 11AM tomorrow will be marked as late (this is often useful for teachers/students). Also, please note that this goes to my personal Dropbox so please do not submit anything of a personal or sensitive nature. I would suggest a sample document or an image/video.

BobGa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich, not as hard as I though. I will pass this information along.

robphat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have been using this feature on my site, but from the feedback people are giving me when they try to send me a video, it fails with an error message about 25% of the time. Are there known isues or circumstances that cause this file request feature to fail?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @robphat!

Perhaps you could take a look at this article here which explains error messages that can occur when trying to upload to a file request. This should narrow down where the issue is arising.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

robphat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It appears the last one is what is happening because the files are under 2GB and I have enough space. I just had the third preson out of 8 get this error:

Error: Something went wrong. Please try sending your files again.

So it's happening almost 50% of the time now. I see the fix is to try another browser or icognito mode, but that's not really an aceptable solution for me. I'd have to add a message to the page I place the drop box file request link on letting people know that if their upload fails to try a different browser or icognito. 

But that's a horrible user experience for my audience. Is it possible that the file request feature simply isn't ideal for videos, or that this feaure just isn't a priority for DropBox to ensure it's working properly?

Do I have to upgrade to a paid account for it to work all the time?

Or should a try a different service for this need?

Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @robphat,

If they're getting this error message when attempting to upload files, then it appears that this is due to a browser issue on their side. This is why it's suggested to try using a different web browser etc. as in these cases, it's most likely not an issue with the link itself.

That being said, I'd be happy to do some further investigation into this with you. To do that though, we'd need to continue through our Support channel as this is a public forum. I've located your open ticket with our team and I've followed up there, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there if you'd like.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

robphat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

ok

Need more support?