cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings all,

After DB auto-updated to 83.4.152, I noticed that the block-level syncing doesn't seem to be detecting changes anymore for my VeraCrypt container.

Before the update, everytime I dismount my VC encrypted container, DB will index the file and compare the deltas at the block-level -- syncing the block-level changes.  However, after the 152 update, I've noticed that even with lots of changes in the VC container, after I dismount, DB detects no changes to the encrypted file.  I end up having a bunch of conflicts when trying to sync between machines via the "rename the file and rename it back" approach.

Could someone share resolution or your similar experiences if you're also using encrypted containers with DB?

Thanks,

BPH

143 Replies 143

asimpson417
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is not a problem with third party programs. This is a Dropbox programming failure.    It’s simply a case of Dropbox no longer correctly identifying changed blocks in TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt volumes when they are dismounted. So, they are not syncing the changed blocks. Now a programmer must have programmed that in at some point in the past – but the new "improved" Dropbox client does not have that capability programmed in.   In other words, the new programmers are playing catchup to figure out what was already working in the older versions of Dropbox.   They need to look carefully at how the old Dropbox client identified the changed blocks on *.tc and *.hc files when TrueCrypt or VersaCrypt dismounted the encrypted volume file.   It appears to detect the dismount, but is not actually syncing the changed blocks.

nei a.
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Dropbox is not interested in finding the cause of this or getting a solution.

This is what I got for my request to pause/halt autoupdates temporarily for my account (they used to do this, so I know they can do it):

"Regarding the update, I understand this can be frustrating to you, however, we are unable to disable the auto-update for the Dropbox Desktop Application, please keep checking back with us to see if there is any change regarding the behavior of this specific file. "

I am out now.

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Jane 

Hi, any update on this? 

John L.2
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the reports.  Our engineering team is looking into these issues.

As a temporary work around, can you try disabling the "preserve modification timestamp" in preferences for VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt?

Another thing to try would be to 'touch' the files to try and get them to sync up (https://superuser.com/questions/10426/windows-equivalent-of-the-linux-command-touch/764721#764721).

Thanks,

J

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hello @John L.2 ,

you are not Jane but happy to hear from you.

As already mentioned above, the workaround is working when this option is disabled. 

Looking forward to hear from you. 

Br,

Thomas

JhonyWalker
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello people, 

I am using Veracrypt on my files that are also shared with Dropbox. I have used Veracrypt for almost half an year and everything was absolutely fine until 1 month ago when Dropbox is not synchronising the files. 

I tried everything described in the help section, but it did not resolve my problem.

I unliked computer 1, then linked it again. Checked the uploaded files from the Dropbox web and they were the newest version. I  unlinked my Dropbox account from my Computer 2, deleted all files from my Dropbox folder, linked again to my account and even then the files that it dowloaded were the old ones. I don't even know how the old one are comming from.

Does anyone knows what could be the problem?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello there @JhonyWalker - thanks for the report!

As your inquiry echoes the OP's description and some similar reports we had from other users, I moved your post under this thread to keep things neat around our Community. 

As @John L.2  mentioned above, our team is looking into this matter while we speak while, in the meantime, you can try disabling the "Preserve modification timestamp" in  VeraCrypt and/or TrueCrypt's preferences or (quoting John here) "touching" the files to force them to sync up.

(https://superuser.com/questions/10426/windows-equivalent-of-the-linux-command-touch/764721#764721)

Thanks for your patience while we look into this matter and let us know if you come up with any additional questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

FatCharlie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey Guys,

for those who have still problems. If your changes to a file or a container are done, just try to pause the sync in dropbox. Wait some seconds and then resume.

If I do so, dropbox recognises a change and is syncing. And it is using block level sync.

Just a work around. I will try to automate this for my needs.

Maybe it helps.

Greetings

FatCharlie

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hello @Walter ,

have you been able to gather some information/a statement around that topic within the last 2 weeks?

Is it a bug? Is it goin to be fixed? If so, when? 

Br,

Tom

Quila
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Pausing syncing doesn't seem to work for me.  I just opened a ticket but since this has apparently been going on for about a month, I'm not very hopeful.  pCloud looks like a good alternative.  Has anyone use that service?

Need more support?