cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account

New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue with my automatic Dropbox photo uploads from my iPhone 11 Pro. When I take photos using anything but a normal 1x perspective (i.e. 0.5 wide angle or 2x zoomed), though my phone only stores the photo one I took, Dropbox finds, creates, and uploads an original version the iPhone stores behind the scenes, as well as the "edited" version which is really just the single photo I snapped. Dropbox is somehow deconstructing the single photo file and reconstructing two photos from the one I took, and uploading these two separate files. I don't really care about the storage because it's pretty cheap for 1 TB, and despite being an active photographer, I still have plenty of Dropbox space, but the annoyance of having two photos when I've only taken one is really a non-starter. It's not easy knowing which of the two versions I intended to use making downloading and use of these things a waste of time.

I have seen Dropbox continually explain a work-around that amounts to them explaining that we should "apply the filter (the edit) after the Dropbox upload" which is of course ludicrous. The only way we could do that would be to upload a photo we have not yet taken. We are not manually applying a filter...we're simply taken a photo using a wide angle, or a zoom mode. If iPhone considers this a "filter", that's fine, but Dropbox should not construe this as something we as users consider important with respect to the value of seeing or possesing a non-wide angle, or non-zoomed in version of the single photo we just took. It would be the same thing as Dropbox also uploading a black & white version of a color photo because they considered the color-version "a filter" or "edit" of the photo I took. We're not interested in Dropbox creating two or more versions of a single photo. Re-read that sentance and add my request to remove this "feature" as it has no benefi, and some of us who are experiencing this will likely leave because of it. We have options.

New member | Level 2

Why is Dropbox not fixing this? Pretty much all my photos are duplicates now directly after taking them with the iPhone 11 Pro (no editing involved at all).

I'm seriously considering cancelling my Dropbox subscription. Photo upload is the main feature I bought it for and it has not been working for months now. This is completely unacceptable behaviour by Dropbox!

Explorer | Level 4

I can't believe this is still an issue, it's driving me nuts - it's doubling up on storage space, doubling up on the time it takes to upload my photos, and now massively wasting even more of my time having to go through and manually remove the original photos from my Camera Uploads folder.

Suggesting we only edit pictures within dropbox post-upload is in no way practical (can you even edit photos in dropbox?), people clearly edit on their devices then share to social media/friends. This is a complete pain, and in no way a desireable 'feature'.

@dropbox - please advise when/if this is issue will be fixed, it's clearly affecting (and annoying) a large number of your customers, I've always been a promoter of dropbox and scoffed athe idea of paying apple for iCloud, this situation is making me question that stance.

Helpful | Level 5

I've been using a paid version of Dropbox for 10 years now and will be moving to another platform because of this "feature" that Dropbox continues to ignore everyone on changing back.  

New member | Level 2
Add me to the list of paying users who find this "feature" actively unhelpful and cumbersome and wish to disable it.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

@seanbarnes can you let me know who you end up going with. This is driving me crazy too. I want to switch services as obviously Dropbox is not handling the issue. 

Explorer | Level 3

And how and where do I find these filters!
I am appalled what dropbox has done to my photos. I seem to have double everything. Asking email support from Dropbox was useless. I had to come to this form to get the answers I was looking for. I am not a happy camper and I'm now looking to maybe move my photos to another venue.

@anonymous wrote:

Dear Walter, thank you very much, it does indeed help. It looks like there isn't a way to prevent Dropbox from uploading both pictures if the editing takes place before the camera upload, which is okay now that I understand this, thanks to your explanation.

Explorer | Level 4
Agreed, this is super annoying. But if you look at Dropboxes history of making changes and improvements you see a company that really isn’t doing a whole lot. Throttled bandwidth, pathetic 720 streaming previews if you’re lucky..

The stock price is too high, time to put a short in. This company is going nowhere. In the years that I have use them I don’t see any innovation, they are just riding their wave until they are Irrrelevant.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account
57 Replies
165 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey