Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having issues with this @ltopits.

Can you please check if those duplicated files have the exact same size and/or name? Do these show up in your iPhone's Camera Roll? 

If you could forward me a screenshot of how those duplicate files look like within your Dropbox account, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter! Thanks for your help. On the top of the app it is showing an upload of Photo (original) and then Photo (edited). I am syncing my phone for the first time, so it is a lot of photos. I'd rather not start out this process with duplicate photos, since there are thousands. I have a clip of what my dropbox camera uploads look like, but it will not let me upload it to this comment.

None of these photos have been edited or anything, so not sure why there are doubles. It is labeling it as a different number jpeg, but there is only 1 photo when I look at my camera roll on my phone. Thanks for the help!

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with this additional information @ltopits - much appreciated!

As I wanted to take a better look into this, I've just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address.

At your earliest convenience, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter! 

When wil this be solved? If I edit a photo or use a filter on my iPhone I do not want two photos uploaded to Dropbox.

brs Johan

Dropboxer

Thanks for your feedback on this Johan (@JohanP) - I'll pass it on to the team for their future consideration.

To re-iterate my previous response on this now, note that we made a change to how the camera uploads feature works with original and edited photos back in April so to avoid this you should apply the filters you'd like on your photos after you've upload them to your account via the automatic camera uploads feature.

For mor context, note that when camera uploads looks to upload new photos, it will now upload the filtered/edited image (Portrait, etc) along with the original (if the filter is applied before the original is uploaded; for later applied filters, they will need to be manually uploaded).

On a side note, if you were to manually upload those photos by tapping on the (+) button on your iOS device(s), you'd find that no edited photos are uploaded and I'd suggest using this method moving forward if you have a lot of photos you've applied filters on and don't want those edited photos uploaded to your account. 

I know it's not optimal but I hope this helps to certain extent. 

Walter

Helpful | Level 6
This option is not helpful. Photos that are taken in portrait mode on newer iPhones are considered “edited”. This is not something that would then be edited in Dropbox or that someone would only want to save an unedited version of. The unedited version doesn’t even exist on my phone. So there would be no reason for Dropbox to continue creating these and saving them. Please please remove this feature. Dropbox is supposed to be an easy automatic way to save photos. I have been paying for it for years, and been a very satisfied customer. I would hate to take my business elsewhere, but may need to, as to avoid the stress and waste of time of deleting extra photos everytime I upload.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply! I think the best solution is to add a preference where the user can choose if they want keep the orgininal or not. At the moment I need to swith to iCloud (or any other solution in order to only sync one photo) in order to save time. 

I use an iPhoneX. 

Best regards Johan 

New member | Level 2

Thank you Dropbox but is not a solution for solve the issue, it seem you just want to upload more picture in dropbox for need to customer to upgrade the plan, for dropbox it all good, you can make more money.

Helpful | Level 6

This has to be one of poorest thought out features ever! As an iPhone user I use the portrait mode ALL the time. I use Dropbox for storage, now having to go back thru and delete 1 version of just about every photo is the worst waste of time. These features aren’t new on the iPhone so why the change in Dropbox?

Helpful | Level 5

Walter. As per the other users, I hate this feature and will be leaving if it does not change back. 

Firstly, I have wasted literally hours trying to work out why this has started happening so thanks for that.

Secondly, I have an iPhone to do quick edits on. I do not want to log in anywhere to do them; least of all Dropbox. You are a storage and backup solution that just works. Out of the box. No messing. This is the complete opposite.

Thirdly, when I edit a photo on iPhone, there is then only one photo; the new one. What possesses you to think I want two back?

Please respond as if you have no intention of reverting, I am lea8ng and 8 want to do so before I have even more photo mayhem.

Many thanks.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account
50 Replies
76 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post