Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Re: Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account

Helpful | Level 6

@GIJoel - Exactly, what were they thinking?! 

If Dropbox doesn't fix this I'll be looking for another photo storage option - and I've been a Dropbox customer for years with the 2TB plan. It would be a pain to switch but maybe not as much pain as having to go thru and edit/delete duplicates for all the photos I take with my iphone

Helpful | Level 6

Who edits their photos in Dropbox? This is NOT a solution, just a work around for a stupid feature of Dropbox.  Dropbox - you better get a handle on how your users actually use your product - this is not it!

Helpful | Level 5

Agreed this is a real pain! Either per default do the logical thing and ONLY UPLOAD THE EDITED version, after all this is what I wanted the photo to be like and it's the one I want in my backup. Or you give people a setting to select if they want edited, original or both. But the current solution is plain annoying and this ISSUE IS ABSOLUTE NOT SOLVED @Walter please have another look!

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox Team, please!  Many have weighed in and this IS a big issue. I take as many as 800-1000 pictures per one international trip and cannot have DOUBLE the photos uploading. I love Dropbox but this is an issue we need you to solve for users. I keep seeing others comments, but nothing from Dopbox.  Let us know if you are actively working to solve this issue for us?  Thank you!

New member | Level 2

This has been frustrating for me as well.  I would think giving the users the option to upload both or only the final would be fairly easy to implement.  If not, just go back to the old way.

Helpful | Level 6
Thanks. I just got am an email that my Dropbox will be renewed soon and will be $20 more a year. Will this issue with, basically Dropbox creating photos that are unwanted, be resolved soon? $20 extra a year and all that effort I have to put in to delete duplicated photos.

Helpful | Level 5

@Walterplease change the status from Solved to Unsolved.

Dropboxer

Hello again people - apologies for the tardy response and thank you all for your patience.

At this point, allow me to re-iterate that when our camera uploads feature looks to upload new photos on your iOS device(s), it will upload the edited image (filters like Portrait, etc) along with the original.

To tackle this behavior, you can apply the filters you'd like on your photos after you've uploaded them to your account as this would be the way to prevent both files (the original along with the edited one) from uploading to your account or manually upload the files you'd like using the (+) button.

I have also made the team aware of your feedback on this - thank you for taking the time to submit your use-cases and pain points with us. 

In closing, I was able to find a relevant feature request thread in our 'Share an Idea' section. Feel free to contribute there and upvote it too. Here's the link to the discussion: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Syncing-original-AND-edited/idi-p/346397

PS: @JohanP : I'm sorry I won't be able to do this as the solution was accepted by the OP himself!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5
Goodbye Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6
This didn’t solve the issue and nothing has changed. I am in the process of switching all my photos over to iCloud and then will cancel Dropbox. Been using since 2012.. Shame it isn’t listening to its users.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account
49 Replies
72 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post