Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account

anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, when I edit a photo in iOs 12.2, both the original and edited photo are uploaded to Dropbox, but I only want the edited photo to upload. In the past, only the edited photo was uploaded and so now, I have two versions of every picture that I edit uploaded, and I do not want this. I already have "optimize iPhone storage" selected and only see the edited photo within the iPhone photo app.

I see that others have the opposite problem - only the edited or only the unedited photos upload. My case is that BOTH are uploading and I only want the edited photo uploaded to Dropbox.

Thank you very much.

49 Replies

Re: Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account

Dropboxer

Hey there @anonymous  - how are you today?

Note that when camera uploads looks to upload new photos on your iOS device(s), it will now upload the edited image (filters like Portrait, etc) along with the original.

In that case, I'd suggest applying the filters you'd like on your photos after you've uploaded them to your account through our automatic camera uploads feature as this would be the way to go to prevent both files (the original along with the edited one) from uploading to your account. 

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Walter, thank you very much, it does indeed help. It looks like there isn't a way to prevent Dropbox from uploading both pictures if the editing takes place before the camera upload, which is okay now that I understand this, thanks to your explanation.

Helpful | Level 6
Please change this back! What a pain this is. I don’t edit photos in Dropbox. It is merely just a safe way to store my photos quickly and easily. Not sure if I want to continue using Dropbox if I have to delete every original photo, if it has an edit. That is very frustrating and time consuming. And NOT helpful. Please create a way to turn this off. Thank you kindly.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your feedback on this @hellotishakitty - I'll make sure to pass your comments on to our dev team for future consideration.

If you have anything to add or ask in the meantime, don't hesitate to let me know; I'm only a post away. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Yes!  Seconded.  This new feature is super annoying and I don't want it.  Please just upload what I have in my camera roll, not every single version.  Nobody wants to edit their photos in Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5
Completely agree! It also takes up double storage space in Dropbox, pushing us all closer to having to pay for an upgraded capacity. And I now have to weed through all of my photos to delete the originals of only those which I’ve edited, in order to save only the good copies of each photo. Dropbox, why?! Please at least give an option to turn this off in case there are actually people out there who want this. I sure don’t!

New member | Level 2

Exactly! I agree. Very annoying.

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox is for storage, not editing. I want to store or keep what I consider my final photo. It is taking TWICE as long to upload both when I only want one version. Giving users an option of which, or both, is desired, including loading the ORIGINAL when there is no edited version of that photo.

Helpful | Level 5

Adding to what everyone has said, my dropbox app on my phone is now syncing double of ALL photos. It is saying one is "original" and one is "edited". But none of these photos have been edited, they are all the just plain original photo. So now I have thousands of duplicated photos showing up.

Is this just an app glitch? Should I stop uploading and wait?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Both original and edited photos uploading to Dropbox account
49 Replies
72 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post