Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Cache fills all empty space

Explorer | Level 4

I have 140GB of data in my 2GB Dropbox. Yet in a few days my dedicated 1TB Dropbox ssd fills up with cache files, to the extent that I can't sync anymore.  There is many times more stuff in the cache than my entire Dropbox account. How do I stop this? It means that Dropbox disables itself every few days, not to mention hammering the ssd.

I know how to clear the cache, I just don't want to do it two or three times a week.

Why can I not set a size limit on the cache? Or, if I can (not obvious), how to do it?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Cache fills all empty space

Dropboxer

Hi @Geoff07 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this; I'll just need a bit more info to make sure we're on the same page and troubleshooting the correct thing.

For starters, how long have you been noticing this and what exact error(s) are you getting?

Could you forward me a screenshot of those errors and one of the desktop app's exact status so I can have a visual too?

As you know, our desktop app on your computer keeps a cache of files hidden in your Dropbox for efficiency and for emergency purposes while clearing it won't affect or remove your Dropbox files; it will merely free up some space on your computer's hard drive.  

On a last note, you won't be able to set a limit to this cache folder at this time but feel free to suggest this under our 'Share an Idea' section of the Community here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Share-an-idea/ct-p/101002000

I'll be waiting for your response to look further into this Geoff!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for it to happen again and will then respond as requested.

Explorer | Level 4

Can you provide an email address that I can send attachments to? I can't grab the menu that drops down from the panel icon but I do have a storage map that shows the problem (761GB in the cache). As for the status, it isn't clear what you want but it says "Can't sync (not enough free disk space)".   When I delete the cache it then works fine.

thanks

Dropboxer

That's exactly what I needed Geoff; thank you!

Now, if you'd like to look into this with account specific information, I can reach out to the email address that's associated with your Community's profile.

Alternatively, you can log a ticket with our team and ping me its ID here (a 7 digit number) so I can locate it on our system and get on it. 

In either case, please keep me posted. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

ticket 9934569

It just happened again today.

When it has trouble it seems to usually mention a large Virtualbox  .vdi file. But that is 'only' 50GB. How many copies would DB want to make of it?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cache fills all empty space
5 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post