Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Can I change the default location that shared content is stored in on my account?

New member | Level 2

Whenever someone shares a file or folder with me, it understandably defaults to my root Dropbox folder. However, what this has done is clutter up my root folder. I would love to have a folder on my root folder called "Shared" and have all incoming files and folders default the "Shared" folder being the default folder it stores the data instead of my root folder. How can I accomplish this?

Also, if possible, how can I move existing incoming shared files and folders to default to that new "Shared" folder?

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Preferences on storing location of incoming folders and files

Dropboxer
Hey @ecviets, while it’s not currently possible to change the way your content is displayed under My Files” on your account online, you could move shared files you’re storing in your root folder using the Move option on your account online to a folder that would be created solely for the purpose. At the moment however, kindly note that it’s not possible to default the save location to the newly created folder. 

Even so, that’s a great idea & thanks a lot for sharing, I’ve now made sure to include your request in my report internally for future iterations of the Dropbox website. 

Please let me know if I’ve missed anything along the way or if you have any follow-up questions about any of the above & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

@Jane, thank you for your response. I have a clarification question about your response.

If I create a folder off of the root and move incoming files and folders to that new folder, when the user updates his or her file and it auto-syncs to my Dropbox, will it update the moved file or will it create a new file in my root folder? Thanks!

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back in touch with me here @ecviets; let me further clarify that the following should apply, depending on what’s happening at this particular point: 

• If your colleagues/friends have invited you to shared folder, you’ll see all updates once you add it on your account online. If you move it, this will not be reflected in the Dropbox accounts of other shared folder members & the folder will update as expected with all your colleagues' edits. 
  • If you move individual files that have been shared with you with View-only access, you can View those on Files on the Sharing tab, however if you choose to save them to a different location/folder on your account, then these will merely be copies & will not be updated if the Owner changes them afterwards. The same applies to content shared via a shared link that you Add to your Dropbox account. 
Hopefully my reply is helpful to you, however please do keep me updated if I’ve missed anything along the way. Thanks again for keeping in touch! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I change the default location that shared content is stored in on my account?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post