cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I generate a list of my files and folders on my Dropbox account?

Can I generate a list of my files and folders on my Dropbox account?

DGMaritime
New member | Level 2

Good morning

I am trying to find a way to show a complete site map / folder tree of all the folders and files in my drop box.

The reason I need this is it needs tidying up and before I do so I would like to see where everything is so I can come up with an efficient plan to move folders and files to new areas?

If anyone has any information on how to print off an site map / tree I would be grateful.

Thanks

Mark

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DGMaritime, thanks for posting on the Community!

Currently, there isn’t a way to print off a direct folder/file structure of your Dropbox account via the site.

There are workarounds, however, when using built-in functions on your OS. I know of a Windows method using a simple CMD prompt.

Testing it here, the command would be as easy as follows:

dir /b /s > folderlist.txt

The text file would be located in your Dropbox folder (since that's where you have to navigate to begin with to enter the above line). You'll get a list of files and folders on your account, with no extra info like file sizes etc, so hopefully it should help a little. I’m sure there are ways of doing this on a Mac or Linux device.

Of course, you’ll need to have your Dropbox folder completely synced to your machine, with no folders deselected via selective sync, since it prints the list of files currently on your drive, and not online.

There may be some other services online that offer to generate a list of your folder structure directly from your account online.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Jay,

Didn't you forget something? :thinking: Question is to list files in a directory (in particular - Dropbox)! Your command will try list just one file (probably missing yet). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The command output have to be redirected to text file (no try to list this file):

dir path\to\Dropbox /b /s > folderlist.txt

Hi @DGMaritime,

For more information (if you run Windows) about possible options, try following:

dir /?

If you use Mac and/or Linux, command could looks like:

tree -o folderlist.txt path/to/Dtopbox

On Linux this command is usually preinstalled, but on Mac could be need install, if missing:

brew install tree

For more information about possible options:

tree --help

Hope this helps.

ADD: tree command is available in Windows, also. :wink:

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, I missed out a > in my code, I’ve edited the post.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?