cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I keep the same shared link but change the file?

Can I keep the same shared link but change the file?

Noam O.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am working on a video with someone. I want to be able to update the file while maintaining the same Dropbox link. Is that possible? Is it possible to change a file multiple times but the same link will always go to it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
Yes. While exporting replace the existing file. That should be fine.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
Hi, yes it is possible. If you update the same file, the link will remain the same.

Noam O.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thing is I am not dating the file as if it's a Word Doc. I'd be completely replacing it. It'd be a WAV file. 

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
Even in that case it should work. BTW, people who receive a shared link won't be able to edit the original file, it will be view only.

Noam O.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So I can just export the same file to the same place with the same name and I'll have no problems? 

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
Yes. While exporting replace the existing file. That should be fine.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Noam O., thanks for checking in on the Forum, & welcome aboard! 

I just wanted to add to what @Elixir mentioned: you can also create a folder & then create a shared link to that folder. That way, you can change, add and remove contents from the folder & the link will stay the same throughout. 

If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to reach back to us here, & we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible! In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Noam O.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thing is though I want it to be a link to a file. Not to a folder. It should still work the way it was described to me above, that if it's the same file type and name in the same location I should be OK?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Noam O., thanks for the swift(est) reply! Yes, that shouldn't be an issue.

If you encounter any other concern in the mean time, don't hesitate to get back to us here. Cheers! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?