Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Can I monitor a shared folder somehow? Any ideas are welcome

New member | Level 2

Is there any way that I can monitor a shared folder? I have a number of radio presenters that drop their daily files in to their own individual shared folders and I want to be able to send them reminders if their files are late.

I'm thinking that this is something that I'll need to watch on my phone as I can presumably use tasker to then send the nagging emails if there are no new files present. It would be great to do this on a PC though. 

Grateful for any ideas.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Folder monitoring

Dropboxer

Hello @Jimik - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Apart from checking the folder's content itself (be it on our website, through the mobile app or our desktop app), note that if you're using the desktop app it can display notifications on your computer when changes are detected in your Dropbox account.

You can choose which notifications you'll receive following these steps:

• Click the Dropbox icon from your menu bar (Mac) or system tray (Win/Linux).
  • Click your profile picture or initials and select Preferences... from the menu.
  • Check or uncheck the boxes under Notify me about to choose which notifications you'll receive.

On a side note, have you by any chance considered using file requests instead of shared folders for this Jimi? 

Let me know if you'd like more information on any of these and I'll be happy to follow up! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter. Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I think I'm looking for the exact opposite of the suggestion you posted. I need a notification if the folder remains empty (or rather with no new files) by a certain time.

To elaborate a little. My presenters are required to record voice track files and place them in a shared folder. Ideally, I would look in the folder at a certain time on the appropriate day and find the voice track files they have recorded and then proceed to edit them ready for broadcast. Trouble is, they forget, and then we have to start sending panic emails to get things done. I have daily scheduled email reminders that get sent but they happen whether they've recorded their files or not. And then they still forget (or ignore the emails). 

I need something in place that can monitor the Dropbox folder to check if there are files ii it from the current day. If there are then no further action is necessary. If not then the nagging starts. I don't think file requests are the answer because it presumably requires a new request for every occasion. I need something automated that will run daily (or weekly) until cancelled. Also important is that the process stops for the day when the folder gets updated with new files.

Dropboxer

Oh, I see now; thanks for elaborating on this and providing the extra detail there Jimi!

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas when it comes to automating or streamlining this process but I think you might be interested in our recent implementation of Dropbox Spaces as they could serve as a team hub for you through which you'll be able to add text descriptions/links/lists and to-dos/mentions to other users and comments which would help improve the collaboration between you and your presenters. 

When it comes to the reminders, you could also create a Paper doc, share it with them and add tasks (to-dos) for them to complete as this would also allow you to set a due date and mark them as complete upon (the files') submission. 

Then again, your presenters will receive a notification for each to-do assigned to them and an email which they might also ignore so I guess this is far from optimal.

Let me know if I'm missing something here!  

On a side note, I'll leave this thread open to anyone that has a walk-around or solution to offer.  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thanks again. Unfortunately I don't think those solutions would work for me. I'm really looking for a fully automated process, and I appreciate it's rather quirky as it would execute on the lack of action by a certain time rather than one that is looking specifically for an action (i.e. changes to the folder). I'm also looking for something that would require less work on a daily/weekly basis than we are currently undertaking.

I could just send multiple automated emails, in the hope that it would someway mentally beat them into submission, but I'm particularly keen that the nagging should stop when the work has actually been done.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I monitor a shared folder somehow? Any ideas are welcome
4 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post