cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I password protect a folder in my own dropbox?

Can I password protect a folder in my own dropbox?

ccarp
New member | Level 2

Is it possible to password protect a folder so that even I have to enter the password to open a folder in my own dropbox?

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @ccarp - thanks for posting your question in our Forum!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here as it's not possible to password protect your  Dropbox folder, or any of the folders inside for that matter. This is because Dropbox isn't a network drive and our software has no control over access to the folder. The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer.

Having said that I would highly recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer while another good idea would be to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens.

I know this information wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear but I sure hope it helps to some extent. 

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, do let me know. Oh, and happy Monday! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MooPla
New member | Level 2

Can I just password protect a file (.xlsx)?

Rich
Super User II

Excel has it's own function to password protect an XLSX file. It's not a function of Dropbox.

MooPla
New member | Level 2

Everytime I set a password and then try to open in Dropbox (using excel online) I get an error message

Couldn't Load this Workbook

Unsupported features

workbook encryption

Need more support?