Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Can I safely delete photos from my phone?

Level 3
Is it safe to delete photos from my mobile phone as they seem to be auto uploaded into the cloud ie Dropbox, to make space on my phone? Or will the files on Dropbox be affected by that? Are the Dropbox files the exact same high resolution? Does the auto upload function upload every single file reliable or is it possible there will have been gaps in the past where some photos were not detected? Thank you so much!! I am paranoid about losing my photos!
Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: Can I safely delete photos from my phone?

Dropboxer
Hey @Novemberkind, thanks for checking in with us; I’ll do my best to address your inquiries! 

Is it safe to delete photos from my mobile phone as they seem to be auto uploaded into the cloud ie Dropbox, to make space on my phone? 
Does the auto upload function upload every single file reliable or is it possible there will have been gaps in the past where some photos were not detected? 
Initially please bear in mind that the automatic camera upload feature uploads all photos and videos from the "Camera" and "Screenshots" albums on your device. For that reason, I wouldn’t suggest deleting your photos if you haven’t cross-checked that you’ve saved an extra copy either with the (+) button or with Camera Uploads

Or will the files on Dropbox be affected by that? 
While Camera Uploads “looks” in your Photos for new content & resumes uploads from the last time you synced, it’s not a two-way sync, meaning that Photos is oblivious of your Dropbox account & anything you delete from there will not affect your content in Dropbox.

Are the Dropbox files the exact same high resolution?
When using camera uploads or manual upload on the Dropbox iOS app, Dropbox will give you the option to upload HEIC (.heic) photos as either HEIC (.heic) files or JPG (.jpg) files. This allows you to choose whether you would like to conserve the original file format HEIC or convert it to the format JPG which is more compatible when sharing with users who may not have a device or software that can preview and edit the file.

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light & please do keep me know here if you have any follow-up questions or I have misunderstood your query in any way. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3
Hi Jane, thanks for helping me out here! However, I still do not quite understand the following comment: " For that reason, I wouldn’t suggest deleting your photos if you haven’t cross-checked that you’ve saved an extra copy either with the(+) button or with Camera Uploads." -Surely, the whole point of a Cloud service with an auto upload is that I do not have to manually cross check that each photo has been detected? I assumed that once my photos are in the Cloud, they are safe there and I can delete them on the original device? I am not aware of a Plus button, why would I need this if auto upload is activated?

Thank you!

Super User II

@Novemberkind 

Its always good practice on any service to just randomly check that what you expect to happen has. 

Personally I dont now because I know uploads works for me and works consistently, but, for newbies I'd always say just randomly check one or two images to make sure they have uploaded. Ultimately you wouldnt want to lose anything would you? 

In terms of the + button thats just a different way to upload if you've not set up Camera Uploads.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3
Thank you Mark. All makes sense! Do you mind a couple of final questions...
1. If Dropbox skips a photo or video during the manual upload process, does this mean the photo or video in question has already been uploaded before only perhaps in a different location / subfolder?

I have uploaded large quantities of photos from my camera SD card to Dropbox but cannot get my head around why certain files are missing when I cross check. What could be the reason why a file would not be uploaded? Had I not cross checked I would have never noticed.

Thanks heaps! Sarah

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back on our discussion here @Novemberkind; let me have a closer look at one or two problematic files. Since I can only investigate your account specifics via our Official Support channel, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Community profile so as to further address your concerns.  

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks again for checking in with us & I’ll be awaiting your next reply Sarah! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I safely delete photos from my phone?
5 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post