cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing folders

Can I share a subfolder of a shared folder to other users?

jz3
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to create a folder with 10 sub folders.

A group of people all need access to the main folder and then each sub folder needs to be accessed by the main group plus an additional 2 people but I don't want the addtional 2 to see the main folder.

When I try to add new people to the sub folder it says I can't because it can only be shared by a link. Why is that and how does it work?

Many thanks

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

Shared folders cannot be nested. That is to say, a shared folder cannot contain or be a member of another shared folder. If a folder is shared, then the subfolders within can only be shared using a share link, which only provides view and download access through the Dropbox website.

jz3
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply but I'm still not clear. If I share a folder via a link, do I have to email the link to that person? When they have access to the folder will they be able to add files to it or just view what's already there?

bana1124
Helpful | Level 5

If you share a link, you can email them the link created. They can only view the files but cannot edit.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others#files

If you want them to have access where they can edit, then share the folder by adding them.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others

Rich
Super User II

@jz3 wrote:

Thanks for your reply but I'm still not clear. If I share a folder via a link, do I have to email the link to that person?

If you create the link using the Dropbox application on your computer, yes, you'll need to email the link yourself. If you create the link through the Dropbox website, I believe it has the option to email it directly.

When they have access to the folder will they be able to add files to it or just view what's already there?

A share link only provides view and download capabilities. They cannot add content to a folder shared via a link.

Need more support?