Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Highlighted

Can I share a video with others?

New member | Level 2

I am going to create a 14 minute video montage for my daughter's senior class using IMovie. Then, I want to share it with the other parents in the class and have them be able to down;had the video and save it to their own computers. Is that possible? Do they need a Dropbox account to do so? please walk me through the requirements if this is possible. Is there any cost to anyone?  Thank you!
Device: dropbox.com

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: video sharing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Simon,

It is possible and very easy! When you sign in to your Dropbox account, first upload the file of you want to share on your Dropbox.

Once it is uploaded, you can create a Shared Link and share it with anyone you want! They don't need to have a Dropbox account to download the file.

To create a Shared Link

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
    2. Hover your cursor over the file or folder you'd like to share and click Share when it appears.
    3. If a link hasn't been created, click Create a link, then click Copy link.

The link will be copied to your clipboard. You can then paste it to an email, message, or wherever people can access it. Read more.

Also , you free Dropbox account has a quota limit of 2GB so if the video is larger, you will need more space.

Thanks!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thank you for such an informative response.  So, after they receive the link that I share, they will be able to download it to their own computers and also share it freely from there?  Will the link ever expire?  THANKS A MILLION!!!!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Simon,

Exactly, unless you unshare the link it will stay shared. They can download the file and use it however they want!

Please be advised that there's a limitation for the traffic of a shared link, the total amount of traffic that all of your links can generate without getting banned is 20 GB per day. You can read more here.

I'm glad I could help, don't hesitate to reach back if you need anything else!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Wow - this is extremely helpful!  Thank you again!  Is 20 GB per day alot?  I am going to share this video with about 45 families, come of whom might only download it once but maybe 2-3 times each.  Do you think that I am running a risk of getting banned with that traffic?  If you do, can you suggest another way I could share an imovie so it is shareable and downloadable in the way I have been describing?  THANK YOU (AGAIN!)!!

Super User II
Yes, I'd say you are running a risk of being banned.

You can work it out yourself by multiplying the size of the file by the number of people seeing it to get an idea of bandwidth. I'd also say add a 10-20% margin of error on that to cover file overheads. i.e. if you get to about 18gb of bandwidth in your sum you are likely to be banned.

Also, just remember that the website only shows 15 minute previews of files, so, if you want people to see longer they MUST download the file. It doesnt say this on the website though so be sure to tell them.

If you want more bandwidth you can pay for Pro which gives 200gb/day rather than 20gb/day.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I share a video with others?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post