cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Can I update my original folders?

Explorer | Level 3

I uploaded to Dropbox a lot of photos in folders from my PC 6 months ago. I have since added more photos to these folders on my PC. I would now like to update the folders on Dropbox so that that all the added photos are now included in these same folders. Can I do that without creating another folder with the same name in Dropbox? i.e. can the original folders be updated? Thank you. 

Tags (1)
10 Replies

Re: Updating folders

Dropboxer

Hey there @Piran, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'd be more than happy to help, I'll just need a bit more info to make sure I understand your question corrently. For example:

• Did you add the photos to your account through the desktop app or the website?
  • Do you see the same folders inside your Dropbox folder on your computer and the website? 

Any additional details or screenshots (without personal info) would be very helpful. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I right-clicked on the folders in 'My Documents' (Microsoft Office) and chose the 'send to' option. Dropbox appears in the drop-down list. I chose that for each in turn.

Explorer | Level 3

Sorry - forget to say:  the folders are only visible on the website, not in the Dropbox folder on my PC.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Piran

Although it sounds like the desktop app isn't syncing, I want to check first if you see the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock. More speficically, if you:

• Don't see it - it means that the desktop app isn't running, which means it's not syncing, which would explain why you don't see any updates. In this case, you'll have to manually relaunch the desktop app from your applications menu. 
  • See it - could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you click on it?

Could you also send me one more screenshot (again, without any sensitive details) of how you're "sending" the photos to your Dropbox folder or account? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

I attach first what I see at the bottom of the screen next to the clock. Although it says 'up to date' it isn't! b) a screenshot of how I initially uploaded the folders.

Basically I want to sync all my photo folders and the folders in My Documents so they are constantly updating what is in my Dropbox.

Thank you for your helpDrop box 1.JPGDrop box 2.JPG 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Piran

Out of curiosity, when you click on that option, do you see the folder copied into your Dropbox folder or on the website?

Have you also tried adding folders or files by copy-pasting or moving the content into the Dropbox folder, instead of selecting the Sent to option? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help so far.

In response to your questions a) when I select the 'send to' option it goes to the website, not to the Dropbox folder on my PC b) Copy and pasting into the Dropbox folder on my PC does not send it to the website.

Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me, @Piran

Hmm. thinking face Could you check if the desktop app is signed in to the same account as the one on the website? You can have a look at this from: 

• Website - your General tab in your Settings.
  • Desktop app - Dropbox icon > avatar icon > Preferences > Account tab.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

The website is signed in to me as is the desktop icon (by the clock)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I update my original folders?
10 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post